Sheltie is being a JELOUS older dog brother!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wyo Chick, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

We recently adopted a 4 year old retired racing Greyhound. This is very exciting for me. I worried so much about him adjusting to our home. Well...he's adjusted just fine. My Sheltie has not. We have had our Sheltie for 3 years. He is being so mean to the new dog. Especially during feeding and with play toys. I know he is having a hard time with a new member of the family. Does anyone have advice on helping him adjust better? Thank You

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Its going to take some time for them to get used to each other,
    My Malamute is a big dumb goof ball, he loves everyone and everything. He is very tolerant of the ChiJack.
    The ChiJack on the other hand isnt tolerant of the Malamute. snarls, growls ,snaps ,being a total jerk, while the goofy beast seems to be saying," come play with me I like you".
    If the Beast comes over to us and the little one is sitting there the little one goes all mean and grouchy, he has to be put on the floor immediately so he will know he isnt allowed to act out like that, once on the floor he is pretty much ok but there are times where he has been snappy.

When we first got the Chijack, I seriously didnt think it was going to work out, after 2 weeks of the little one being a brute to the large dog it started sorting itself out.
    Now they can play for a little bit together before the little one gets mean again. but its slowly easing into a nice 2 dog household.
    The Chijack has been here now about a month and it is settling down a lot.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Don't allow this behavior. I would offer a correction each time this type of behavior is displayed....you are the pack leader, not the Sheltie, and only you can correct a pack member or show any aggression.

I had this problem with my older dog when we got a pup. She was very jealous and would snap and growl at him when he tried to get any affection. This was corrected by me immediately and it ceased to happen. They now are the best of pals and the pup actually nudges HER out of the way for pets and lovin'. I don't allow this action either..... [​IMG]

You could let them work it out but you may be doctoring some wounds before it's over.

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    It sounds like the sheltie is trying to establish an alpha position over the greyhound. This isn't really a bad thing, it's just how dogs sort living arrangements out. If the greyhound is submissive, then it will be fine. If the greyhound wants to be the boss you will have trouble.
    The more you interfer the longer it will take for the two of them to establish who is the boss. As long as the sheltie accepts you as the boss then just let him establish himself as alpha over the new dog. Like, when you open the door for them to go out, you will notice the sheltie trying to get out first. That's because he is alpha.
    The food and toy situation should calm down once alpha is established. But if you scold the sheltie for it then it will take a lot longer and frustrate the sheltie.
    Look up articles online about dogs and the alpha position to get a better understanding of what is happening.
    Good Luck!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Your putting human emotions on your dog..dogs dont think like us.
    Hes not jelous, hes trying to assert his pack position over the grey hound..hes trying to let the grey hound know that hes above him in the pack. In a way its normal behavior..but if it continues you could have a problem on your hands. I also would not feed them together if its becoming a problem. Feed them in seperate rooms..
    Also..YOU have to be the pack leader..your sheltie needs to know this...
    Anytime one of my dogs tries to get dominant with another one of my dogs in my presence i correct them right away...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by