1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shepherd Mix- Ga

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Drivegirl54, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Ok guys, I realize this is probably not the best place but this is her last chance...

We have an 18 month old shepherd mix.. UTD on shots, etc and is spayed. She is house broken, crate trained and very affectionate. However, she nips when she plays. Normally fine but I have a 2 year old and she has gotten him pretty bad a few times. She's fantastic with my 9 year olds, other dogs and cats. But not chicks. She needs to go. I've tried to rescue her out, put an ad in paper, all that but no luck. I'm going to have to take her to AC next week so I thought I'd try her here.
    Thanks

2. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Anything in the herding group (even mixes) can have a tendancy to be mouthy. We had a GSD when we first married who was this way and nothing we did could break her of it. Finally, we had to train her to have something in her mouth before anyone would touch her. She got nothing, no food, no pettings, no attention unless she was in a sit position with something in her mouth. It took a couple months of very consistant training, but it worked. It sure was something to see a 80 dog with a bunny in her mouth trying her hardest to sit still. Anyway, it is a thought. I know you have to do what you have to do to protect your little ones.

3. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    I think we've tried it all lol. We have a GSD and she went thru the same thing, but we managed to break it. This one is just stubborn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by