Shepherd snatched guinea chick out of crate...HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LexsPeeps, Apr 2, 2017.

1. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Last night our family German Shepherd snatched 2 of our keets through the crate before we could stop him. He pulled them straight through the chicken wire. One is OK, eating, drinking, and interacting with our other chicks. The other though has bloody swolen eye and blood was slightly coming out of its nostril on the same side as the hurt eye.

He has made it through the night but I'm uncertain as to put him out of his suffering or if there is anything I can do to help him.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, LexsPeeps, and [​IMG]! It's great to have you in our community but sorry about the dog & guinea situation. If possible can you post a pic with details in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    The folks there may be able to give you some medical advice. For me, if the chick begins to eat and drink, doesn't seem to be in pain, and doesn't continue to deteriorate, I'd say give it a day or two more and see which way you think it will go and then decide. Also, you might invest in hardware cloth rather than chicken wire. You learned the hard way that CW is good at keeping birds in but pretty ineffective at keeping out something determined to get at your fowl. Also, here's an article about socializing dogs to poultry - hope it helps: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-your-dog-to-chickens-tips-tricks
    Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC!!

2 people like this.
  3. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Thanks a lot for the info! Will post pics in the next 20 minutes to the link you added. We have been training our dog but like you said we have learned the hard way about CW. We are usually very diligent about watching our dogs around the chickens/chicks but we lost our focus doing chores around the homestead :( hard lesson learned and firmly regret it was at the expense of one of our babies.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear about your chick, hope the ER folks can help you out.

Best of luck!

6. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    The keet passed away this morning not long after I posted :( the other one with no visible wounds seems to be doing very well though. Thanks to all!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    So sorry [​IMG]

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under LexsPeeps [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I like to err on the side of caution. dogs(and cats) + chickens = dead chickens. You never hear of a chicken killing a dog. My way of saying dogs and chickens should never meet. Risk factor drops to 0 - unless cats get the chickens.

10. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Good morning all from Kentucky! Added a few pics of our little peeps, couldn't get a good picture of our grown flock bc of the rain, I think we all will be happy for some sunshine!
    We partially free range our birds and our shepherd is our son's guardian when he treks around the woods, so it would be hard to keep our dogs from never meeting one of our chickens. The best route for us is training. The error of the incident was on our part, not the dog's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by