She's A He?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by huck, Nov 20, 2009.

1. huck

huck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryland
    All my hens are about 10 months old and not an egg from them yet.

That's not really the problem, though.

The problem is that my Black Australorp (who is the dominant hen) started ....crowing?!.... this morning.

It's not a real crow. But it's a crow-ish noise.

This is a REAL BIG NONO as we're in an urban area... and roosters are illegal. We're also trying to keep a low profile.

I don't have a camera today, or else I'd post pictures of her/him.

Wouldn't I have known earlier?At what age do roosters crow?

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I do hereby refuse to make a decision until I see a photo.

I've heard of some hens crowing in absence of a roo, but I've never seen it personally.

Are you feeding lay crumble or scratch?

3. 25bengood2me

25bengood2me Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    I've read that some roos start crowing @ 8 weeks, others, much later. My current roo just crowed for the first time in his life this A.M. (He was #2 at his old home.) Now he's #1 - with his own adoring pullet.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Must of scared the bejeebers outta himself too! [​IMG]

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    This summer I bought 5 Americana pullets and 2 were not pullets and I have recently killed the last of the two. Hatcheries make mistakes. Also, hen do crow sometimes. I only personally had one of mine do it before me, right after she laid an egg....so I couldn't be wrong about her sex. But I have never been without a rooster, so I don't know about doing it due to not having a rooster.
    Now if your community doesn't allow roosters and you have a hen that crows and you find out for sure that she really is a hen, I would say unless someone complains, you should be fine. Even if someone does complain, you have no rooster. I really don't think a hen would crow as much as a rooster, even though she is capable of doing it. But still.....you might have a rooster. A crowing hen happens, but its not something you will see often. I would vote for the sexer having made a mistake. I have to agree with our friend.......post a pic.

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I really think that by 10 mos with Black Australorps you'd have seen if this were really a roo before this. I am 'thinking' it's just a hen being a tough girl. Of course as others have said, it'll take a pic to be sure, but when a hen who's doing this does crow, it's not usually terribly loud or often, so hopefully you'll be safe with the neighbors.

I don't believe it matters what you are feeding them, layer feed or anything else doesn't have any kind of hormones or anything in it, or it darn well shouldn't, so the feed doesn't matter at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by