Shes a little slow....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommto3kiddos, Jul 11, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Does anyone else have a chicken (or more) that is well.... not the brightest crayon in the box... One of my RSL girls litterally makes me slap my head sometimes and think "are you kidding me".. Luckly she figured out the whole ramp up into the coop thing, but anything else that requires any sort of mechanical abilities, shes left behind.. I mean this girl can't figure out how the other chickens get out to range, even when she watches them walk out of the coop.. She just paces back and forth frantically on one side of the coop like "how did yall get out there".. [​IMG]

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I have a few like that...especially one of my Leghorns. She is crazy and not the brightest bulb either. I think one of my red sex links thinks she's super annoying, so she only chases after her.

3. motomech

motomech New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    I had a Buff Brahma....Dumb as a bag of hammers! Did the same thing when the others went out to free range. Had to dunk her head in the water to help her figure out where to drink. When they roosted at nite she was the only one facing the wall when she slept (I actually think she rested her face on the wall to sleep).

Sadly we had a coyote attack that killed her and my best layer a few months ago.

4. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    Funny to see this post. I have one little one ( 11 weeks) who can be described just as you have all described. She got picked on a bit at first by her older siblings who are a month older. She struggles with getting up the ramp, down the ramp...out the door, and is also left behind a lot because she doesnt realize her group took off for a walk. I am going to start a post to see if possible she is blind/or partially blind and this is what is causing this behavior. I thought for sure she was when I waved my finger in front of her eyes when holding her and she didnt flinch...but then I did it with another one and got the same reaction. I think I would rather be a bit ditsy than blind.

5. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I have a young Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullet who is so sweet but rather ditsy! (I would say dumb blonde but don't want to offend anyone! [​IMG] ) She is always at the back of the flock and follows everyone else. She also gets stuck in the run from time to time because she doesn't remember where the door it. She really can't get the hang of treat time. When I give her a treat, she doesn't usually get it before one of her flock mates rushes over and grabs it. She just kind of runs around with a "what is going on" expression while the other chicks get the treats. She is only 13 weeks old so maybe she will grow out of it? I'm starting to think that we should have named her Blondie!

6. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

This is so funny to read because I too, can relate. I have this one BR that is so sweet, but so ditsy! All the above posts list EVERYTHING ditsy she does. Pacing back and forth in the run trying to figure out how everyone else got out there, doesn't know what's going on at treat time, etc. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a silly bird! [​IMG]

7. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Sounds like you're describing my RSL, Johnny. One time, all the others went back into the enclosure, through the door they've used a hundred times. Johnny spent a good 5 minutes running back and forth around the 3 other sides of the coop, every time she got to the corner where the door would be she'd turn around and keep searching.......She's been left out in the rain all alone, left behind when the rest wander off.....One of her siblings now watches out for her, and they all make sure Johnny goes upstairs for bed first.[​IMG]

8. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] Our little Cosette depends on her brother to take care of her. In the next couple of weeks, we are going to be rehoming him back to the breeder we got him from since we can't have roos. I don't know what Cosette is going to do without him. She will either have to find a new buddy or learn to be more independent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by