She's a man, man. (is this a hen or a roo? i'm so confused....)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urbanchickmama, Jun 7, 2011.

1. urbanchickmama

urbanchickmama Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    This morning I headed out to the chicken coop, camera in hand, ready to take a small video of our 10 week old Roo crowing his little mini bantam crow, as he's done for a couple of weeks now. Low & behold, when I got out to the door, who did I see on the perch crowing away?? Not who I expected.

This is Talullah. SHE has been my pretty girl, always a little on the vocal side, but I just chalked it up to personality. So what do you think? Do hens crow, or have I been decieved this whole time?

(they are all about 10 weeks old)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That looks all roo to me.

BTW: MY Cochin hen DOES crow LOL And ppl here had me convinced she was a roo but then she laid an egg [​IMG] SO yes hens sometimes (hardly ever) DO indeed crow [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    It looks like a slow maturing rooster, but hens have been known to crow. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, it's a boy.

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Little Talulla is a boy. However, some bantam breeds especially, I have discovered, the hens will crow. I have a Buff Sebright who does when she is away from the boys for very long. Crazy bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by