She's a year old and still hasn't laid an egg.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guinea fowl galore, Nov 23, 2010.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I have a chicken that is a cross between a barnvelda and a light sussex. I hatched her out myself. she is almost a year old and hasn't laid a single egg.
    Does this just sometimes happen or is there something wrong with her?
    And yes she is definitely a she.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unusual, but yes, it sometimes happens.

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I have 3 ameraucana hens. One didn't lay an egg until she was 13 months old. And figures. . .she laid for about a month and then went broody - no eggs now for about a week. [​IMG]

4. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i have a RIR bantam who is also about a year and still no egg! i was wondering the same whether this was ok or not.

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Depending on the breed, some are not very good layers in the shorter days of winter. When chicks are hatched in the spring and early summer they will just be maturing as the days are getting shorter in the fall and this can happen. I typically hatch the majority of my birds in December-January so they are maturing and coming into lay in the spring. Up here in New England it is a bit of a challenge brooding chicks in single digits, but it is not too bad and worth the result.

6. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Even if she is not a he,
    Then decide what you have it for.
    Pet. Then no problem.
    Eggs? If it were me, then chicken soup and a few new birds is the solution

7. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Mine almost ten months old and nada!! I think she is barren. Oh, she is a BSL and has never developed a comb or wattles. Minnie looks so funny out there with the others. I have seen her eat oyster shell and even sit in a nest, but zip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by