1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

She's become more vocal, could this be a sign?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Sep 21, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    So Luna is approximately 4 months old, she's a white Cochin.

Recently she lost her coop mates to a raccoon (I took care of two of them and the hole has been fixed). She's become way more vocal the last two days, coop mates were lost 4-7 days ago and raccoons caught 2-3 days ago. She's been super loud, compared to her little coos she normally does. She also likes to make little nests every where in the coop, so I everytime I see her do it I put her in the nesting box.

Is this a sign of getting ready to lay an egg or is she just filling the space with her noise?

here is a pic and her face is very red (at least I think it is).
    [​IMG]
    IMAG0448 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Could be, they like to practice that egg song. Hope you get an egg soon, and so sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thank you, I am hoping to pick up a few birds this weekend. So hopefully she won't be that lonely (at least I think she's lonely, she does have a rabbit and bunnies living in the coop).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by