She's Broodin a dud, how do I replace it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by my3under4, Apr 24, 2008.

1. my3under4

my3under4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Outside Austin, Texas
    I have a brooder who is about 1 year old. She's been faithfully sitting her nest for 24 days on an egg that I labeled when I noticed her growling at me. *grin* We have no rooster, so the egg is a dud, but we wanted to give her a chick or two...or three... but I dont remember the specifics of how to do that from last year's thread on it. SO:
    Will she take 3? Should I put her in a separate space ( not sure I have enough time to build anything though this late) and
    do I just put the chicks under her and take the egg ( like a tooth fairy gone Easter egg?) or do I wait until she leaves the nest to plant them? Do I leave the empty shell? like Santa leaves cookie crumbs?
    and she's at the bottom of the pecking order. Will that affect the chicks chances of being abused by the other 8 hens?
    We're on 11 acres in Central TX, and they have free range by day, and an 8x8x8 coop with 10 boxes by night. What accomodations do I need to make for chicks besides hanging the big girl's waterer and creating a nest on the ground for them? I plan to take the kids to the feed store any day now to pick out the chicks, before Peanut gives up on her egg.

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I would move her to a separate pen and put the chicks under her at night. She will be more likely to accept them. She will probably leave the nest and dud egg to care for her chicks. My marans hen hatched out 6 chicks but continued to sit on the other unhatched eggs for 3 days. After that,she rolled all of the dud eggs into a corner and took care of her babies.

3. my3under4

my3under4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Outside Austin, Texas
    Dumb question: If I am to put the chicks under her at night, a la tooth fairy, how do I watch her for hours to ensure she doesnt hurt them?
    and how long do I leave her 'cooped up' in the cage with them? days? weeks? let her out in the evening for an hour or so, then try to get her back into her cage? or would she be anxious to be back to her chicks?

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Just replace the egg with the chicks. she will do the rest. After setting that long she will be glad to meove around with the chicks. Don't just leave her locked up, let her move around like she would naturally. If you have other hens, she will put them in their place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by