Shes broody again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BairleaFarm, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I got this silkie hen a 6 or so weeks ago with her chicks she hatched. They grew up and she started laying an eggs aday. Shes stopped the last week ago. Since i got her she loves the nesting boxes and usually stays in them when shes not out running around. I noticed i didnt get any eggs yesterday(ive got 5 layers). I went to change the straw today and noticed shes sitting on 4 eggs that arnt hers. Wonder how she got all the girls to lay in the same nesting box and why she decided to take over? Pretty cool ill be anxious to see if her hatch rate is better than mine.

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hate to tell you this, but she may not have convinced the other hens to lay in her box. She may be an egg thief. I have a silkie that is right now broody, Jethro. Jethro has been going broody almost since she was old enough to lay eggs. She raises her chicks for a long time, 3 months and then goes broody all over again. It's a big pain for me because it means I have to remove eggs from the coop almost on an hourly basis. If I don't Jethro will leave her nest long enough to steal the eggs out of the other boxes. She has 6 eggs that I gave to her but I've caught her with as many as 10 under her. [​IMG]

3. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Steal the eggs? not to sound dumb but how would she move them from the other boxes?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Gee, I'll have to try and find that thread where we talked about it the other day. Basically they pull the egg up under their neck and hold it there between their neck and chest and waddle back to their nest with it.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Gee, I'll have to try and find that thread where we talked about it the other day. Basically they pull the egg up under their neck and hold it there between their neck and chest and waddle back to their nest with it.

[​IMG]

That is one determined hen!!! [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  7. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    That has cleared up a mystery for us !! We had yellow ball pit balls laying around the garden, and one day I went to clean the chickens out a SLW was sitting on a yellow ball, on a shelf in her basket, now I accused the kids of messing about and putting it under her and the kids fiercely objected to doing it, do you think she picked that ball up?

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:One of the big plastic pit balls (size of a grapefruit)? I would doubt they could pick up something that big. Egg size, sure. It was a mystery to me the first year I had chickens. I kept finding golfballs that I had placed in the nestboxes out in the chicken yard. My brahma girls were kicking them out there.

9. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    thats crazy. lol thats why she had that "i didnt do it" look on her face yesterday.

10. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Quote:One of the big plastic pit balls (size of a grapefruit)? I would doubt they could pick up something that big. Egg size, sure. It was a mystery to me the first year I had chickens. I kept finding golfballs that I had placed in the nestboxes out in the chicken yard. My brahma girls were kicking them out there.

They are small ones, about the size of an apple. They are so funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by