She's broody again!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvinmychickens, Apr 5, 2012.

1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Well, last year in the winter, my Splash Ameracauna was broody. We put her in a dog cage in the basement, for a day, then took her back outside. She went in the nesting box, but then broke the broodiness.

About two weeks ago, she went broody again! And we will not do the dog cage thing. We would do the fertilized eggs for her, but we can't. My city only allows six hens (no roosters)! And we have six hens right now (including the broody).

The problem is, is that since she is broody, she isn't laying any eggs. That's the main purpose of why my Dad wants them (he loves eggs and eats them every morning for breakfast. Lol.)

We may end up getting rid of her if she keeps this up.. Unless any of you have any other clue on how to break the broodiness. If not, you'll probably see a post somewhere on BYC by the member swatskee asking if there is anyone local who would like her or an ad on Craigslist. I would much rather one of you to take her than some person on Craigslist. (I mean, come on. I know there are tons of you who would die for a broody! Lol.)

But I would rather not have to give her up. So what I am trying to say is, is there any other ways to break the broodiness? (Personal experiences please!)

Thank you so much in advance,

Luvinmychickens:)

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    keep her away from all the other chickens. then make sure you take the egg out immediately after she lays it

3. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    She hasn't laid any eggs for a week now, because she is broody.. :/

4. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    She stays in the nesting box all day and all night. She'll get up to eat or drink, but that's it.

5. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I just checked on her..She is still in the nesting box. She stays in there whether there is an egg in there or not. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by