SHE'S BROODY!!!!! (formally A problem with my muscovy's nest)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My muscovy has been laying for about 2.5 weeks now. I built her a little shelter and she set up shop there. One problem I have been having since she is not setting yet is some of my chickens have dediced that it is a great place to lay their eggs. Since my muscovy isn't setting, I just check the nest and remove any chicken eggs. No big deal, I thought.

This morning, there were some feathers in the nest so I am thinking that she may have started plucking and may set soon. Later on, I was outside building a holding pen for some meat chicks and started wondering where my girl was because my drake kept coming over to see what I was doing. I went to check if she was in the nest and she was but my brown leghorn was standing there pecking her in the head. [​IMG] I removed the hen and closed up the duck run. My poor scovy had a little blood on the top of her head and behind on e of her eyes. She is not too keen on me touching her so I kept an eye on her and she looks okay. She stayed on the nest for a few hours today and when I noticed her pacing I let her out of the run.

I have had problems with this leghorn hen before, she used to pick on the muscovy when they were younger and they are scared of her.
    Suggestions for what I should do to resolve this situation? I don't want to leave the ducks in their run all the time, maybe once she starts to set but not yet.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Get rid of that leghorn? If you were really fond of her, maybe you could pen her up until the duck is done being broody. IMO it's alot easier to try and keep a chicken locked up because you don't have to deal with all the muddy mess that the ducks make.

3. elsasmom

elsasmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    I'd pen up the leghorn. that duck will stick to her nest no matter what and may be seriously injured by your hen.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    especially if she was pecking her around her eyes. I have one of my muscovies that has been laying her eggs inside the chicken coop, tonight is the first night she has actually went in and laid on the nest, I'm worried about her being on the chicken side, I may have to move her although i hear they don't like to be moved.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I will try to pen up the leghorn. I have some of the first scovy eggs that I can give her to sit on in the chicken coop. I think she wants to set. She has previously started a hidden nest (last year).

If it continues after that then I think she'll just go to the freezer. I have 3 week old Rouens that I don't want to be paranoid of the chickens. The other 4 chickens are fine although the ducks are scared of them too.

It is kind of funny seeing a drake that is about 4X the size of a chicken jump (literally) when he realizes they walked up behind him. I did scold him for not being a good drake and protecting his girl from the $!#@#% leghorn.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You ought to see my gander run from my game/bantam rooster its hilarious.

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Oh, Miss Lydia, I don't know how long your hen has been laying in the chicken coop but you may want to try setting up a nest for her in her area. My girl disappeared one morning after she had been laying for about 1 week. I found her in the hen's nestbox. The next day I didn't let the ducks out until she laid her egg and have had no problems since. I "tested" her for her nesting ability a few days ago by putting extra hay near her nest. The next day she had added it all to her little nest. [​IMG] I can't wait for little scovy babies. [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats so cool, wishing you and her the best. she is on 5 eggs so it's been 5 days, tonight is the first time she has wanted to be on the nest overnight. she had just been going in and laying an egg then spending the rest of the day outside playing. My chicken coop and duck coop are attached and the only way my chickens can get out of their side is through the duck half, so i don't think I'll be able to keep her closed up plus she was sharing a room with her 2 sisters is probably why she went into the chicken half to lay in the first place.
    Last year when my one girl; went broody and was sleeping with her 2 sisters I moved them out to a large dog crate in my feed house, but this girl didn't build her nest in her side, so I am at a loss as to what to do except maybe try to move her to the dog crate and keep her locked up and see if she'll stay on her eggs.

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    UPDATE
    Well, my girl is going broody. I have not had to worry about the leghorn since my muscovy is only getting off of her nest only 2-3 times a day. When I'm home I let her out in the morning then close the door to the run when she goes back in. In the afternoon, when I see her pacing, I let her out again. She does enjoy hunting flies.
    She is still laying so she has 11 eggs under her now. She is starting to pluck more. I have been dating the eggs so I know which are older.
    I know that they can lay a ton of eggs but should I remove any older ones and leave her with a set number?

I couldn't resist adding this.
    [​IMG]

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Anybody have an opinion on the egg question? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by