shes dead but.... why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickengal505, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    My young pullet glody locks (part of a clan in my flock called the golden girls all three were golden buff orpfingtons) got paler than the others and did not eat as much didn't think much of it and she just died one night on the ground and was left there till i nagged my dad enough to go get her out and bury her (i CANT handle ANYTHING dead or dieing AT ALL) she was EXTREMLY light weight for a buff and now my others im worryed about will they die too? I have timder rats and owls and field mice and corn weavels and everything else under the sun could they have caused it?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    What are you feeding them? How old are they?

3. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    i would dust for mites and lice. I have lost some because of them. I try to keep a handle on them as best as I can. I would dust your whole flock, if you haven't already, just to be safe. if you own chickens, you eventually have to handle losses. good luck!

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I lost a few to lice/mites. Sucked her dry and she weighed nothing. I would dust just incase. Good luck

5. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    i do a lice dust offeten and have had no prob. with them before. They get hen mash in there feeder all the time and scrach daily. Free range offten she was the biggest yet the lightest...

6. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Well youv'e dusted...when did you last worm????? what"s the protein percent in her feed?
    some rooster booster vitamins may also help, cottage cheese and yogurt.

7. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    You said you have rodents, did you put posion down that the birds got?

8. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    no we dont poison right now my other post "URGENT:dog ate rat poison HELP ME PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU" explanes why its all in her puppy tummy in stead of the rat's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by