She's doing it! UPDATED!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theOEGBman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Well,

My broody has done it. I went out to check on her today, and its POURING. I popped her wing up with a stick, and sure enough, a pip. So, I was going to leave her alone and go and then I heard a peep. Now I know eggs can peep, but I had to see anyways. Sure enough! A little chick! It looks just like a BBRed chick, which is what color the mom is. I find it odd though, because the father was either my BR or a BR cross so I expected all black babies. Either the BR cross' EE gene popped up or my cousin's Spangle roo got in there! The thing that stinks is that I cant go out there tomorrow, so I cant check on them til Tuesday! Its going to be pretty rough, hopefully they are all ok. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Well, your broody will stay on the chicks for a few days before venturing out with them, so I'm sure she'll keep them warm and they'll be OK.

3. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Yep, that's what I told my mom. I figured the eggs might take more than a day to hatch, especially since she has 12, so they should be fine til Tuesday. My only problem is they arent penned up, she's in the woodpile and my cousin has a chicken eating dog that runs loose. She hasnt found her yet, I just hope all of the peeping doesnt draw her to them.

4. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    UPDATE: Well, I went out today to check on her and saw atleast 4 chicks! They are still hatching, but I saw two black ones, a brown one and one that appeared to be yellow, brown and black! I'll take the camera out tomorrow, hopefully, and see if I can take a few pics!!

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    YEA BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I want a broody! [​IMG]

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Wow, congrats on your babies. I have a broody right now, we will see how it turns out.

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    WOOT!

Now leave her alone boy!!! [​IMG]

9. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Thanks! I really didnt want babies, since Im trying to downsize. I just got rid of 31 birds, and now I have more hatching! [​IMG]

Cindy, I only poked her with a stick, like 3 times. [​IMG]

10. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Brat! [​IMG] Hope she pokes you back! [​IMG]

(I can't really feel sorry for you. I have 6 right now and I want more, more, more!!! We're going to a show this weekend and I fear I may come home with a van load since I'm starting a job where I'll be working Saturdays (among others) and I don't know when I'll get to another show! hehe Gotta make it worthwhile, right? [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by