"Shes" getting huge....

Nichole Nolan

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
These two are suppose to be around 3.5weeks old but our "buff" one has taken the roll on out growing her sister! Could she be a he Buff orpingtons!
Also her feet and legs are massive compared to other one!

Attachments

• IMG_3123.JPG
    IMG_3123.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi Nicole and welcome to BYC. I agree that "he" certainly looks a lot more chunky than the other chick. Maybe post on the breed / gender forum for the best advice, as you did with your cochins.

More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

:welcome It's hard to tell from the picture you posted, but it looks like the comb on the big one is also quite a bit bigger. If you can take a pic from the side, like the one on my profile, and post it in the breed/gender forum as CTKen suggested you can get a better answer. But if you are sure they are the same age, the bigger one does seem to be cockerel for now. I'd give them another couple of weeks to be sure though.

:welcome It's hard to tell from the picture you posted, but it looks like the comb on the big one is also quite a bit bigger. If you can take a pic from the side, like the one on my profile, and post it in the breed/gender forum as CTKen suggested you can get a better answer. But if you are sure they are the same age, the bigger one does seem to be cockerel for now. I'd give them another couple of weeks to be sure though.

Ok thank you!
I will try and take a better picture! The comb is a bit bigger as well and it also seems to be "lifted" in the back if that makes any sense.
I'm moving them into a bigger inside cage today so I will def get a better picture!
"She's" the less skiddish one and is kinda "lazy" so as soon as I talk to her her head pops right up! So I'll be back in a few hours! And also post that picture in the other thread!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

It is very possible she is a He. But some chicks can and do out grow the others. I once had a BA chick grow SUPER fast, I mean towered over her siblings. I was SURE she was a he, but nope, she grew into a fine quite LARGE Australorp, one of my best hens! So give it time. But soon, if you seen a big ol' comb turning bright red, she could be transforming int a he.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our roost! :)

Tonight I found it doing this but nothing came out......"she" tried doing it about 4 times no sound! Could this also be a sign I tried to get better pictures but she didn't like her reflection on my phone

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi Nichole, and WELCOME! Nice spelling of your name... I'm also a Nichole. ;) I don't often run into other h'ers.
As for your chicks... yes, the comparison between the two certainly looks suspicious. But, as others have said, sometimes one will just outgrow it's siblings. In the second batch of photos I don't think that's an attempted crow if no noise came out, it's more likely that the chick was just adjusting it's crop.

Back
Top Bottom