She's given up on the nesting? could she be laying from the roosts?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yesfantina, Sep 25, 2011.

1. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

That's the inside of my coop (picture from the seller's site - my coop is a messy lived in coop) It's like 3 feet wide and a a little over 3 1/2 feet long. It's got 3 roosts like you see, and that leads up to a board acrosss the back for a nesting area. We've removed the dividers and set in two nesting boxes on that shelf. We also added another roost higher up, and that's where most of the birds sleep now - on the highest roost.

Our 2 red stars have been laying for 3 weeks now. Pretty consistantly we are getting 2 eggs/day. One has been in the nesting box, and the other on the ground below the shelf, in a nice cleaned/nested bowl shaped depression the hen keeps making there. Been trying to figure out how to get the girl that's laying under the shelf to get up into the nesting box, but so far no go.

THEN, on Friday.. there was NOTHING in the nesting box, Lucy's regular egg in her selfmade nest area, and a broken egg in the middle of the coop under the roosts. :-( I cleaned up the broken egg. Well, now it's sunday and although fortunately there have been no more broken eggs, both yesterday and today,.. there was Lucy's egg in her selfmade area under the shelf, and .. Rosie's egg is in the middle of the coop, not in a soft dug out nesty looking area, just on top of the poop under the roosts.

SHE's the one that had it right and was using the nesting boxes.. now this? Could she be laying from a roost and dropping it? why isn't she hollowing out an area at least and making it 'nice' ?

I have 2 wooden eggs in one nesting box and a ceramic egg in the other. She spent 2 weeks consistantly laying her egg next to the ceramic egg. And now this..

Any suggestions?

2. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by