She's gone broody and a question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckielove, May 15, 2010.

1. duckielove

duckielove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have a 1yr old runner that has decided to go broody. I found out the other day when I came home from work and went to let them out and only counted 11! I was scared to open the coop for fear of finding her lying dead in there. What I got instead was a very crazy wacked out duck upset with me for opening up the door LoL. She came running out like no tomorrow chasing me away.

My question would be how does one still go collect eggs for eating when she is taking them all to sit on? I have no way to tell which ones were laid when unless I risk my life and arm [​IMG] to mark them, is there an easier way?

Regards, Susan

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Nope. No easier way. Unless you can seperate her and keep her from snatching more eggs.

I used to toss a towel over mine and she was so busy trying to kill the towel that I could do my egg stealing in safety [​IMG]

And always use your non dominant hand just in case she kills the towel and then goes after you [​IMG]

3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Quote:[​IMG] You could bribe her with some food. Hold the food infront of her let her eat then hold some water for her to drink. When you are doing this see if you can slip your hand under there. That is what I did with mine but she isn't too much of a crazy broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by