She's gone quiet....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by munroclimber, Apr 18, 2011.

1. munroclimber

munroclimber New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Hi, any help would be appreciated please. My lady has an occasional cough, but has otherwise stopped making any normal sounds. She has also gone very lethargic, off her food and very sleepy (eyes closed, head dropped down). Can anyone suggest a cause/remedy please. Thanks in advance.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    how old is she? a cough is not good, I would at least separate her from the others until you know what is going on with her, sounds like it could be a respiratory problem ,some antibiotics could help and some electrolyte solution in her water for strenght. hope someone has some better info for you, good luck

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2 I agree with a respiratory problem, seperating. Munroclimber, have you inspected her for lice/mites? Have you wormed her? What color/consistancy is her poop? When was the last time she laid an egg, if at all? What are you feeding her? We need more info to help you out.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. munroclimber

munroclimber New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. She is 5-6 months and has been laying almost daily for 2-3 weeks now. Had one yesterday from her. Hard to describe her poo as she shares with two others but no obvious signs of ticks/lice/maggots etc. Cage & coop is cleaned daily to remove soil and change the straw; I feed them layer pellets with oyster shell and grit and they regularly have roam of the garden, where they scratch around for anything. No chemicals in the garden so I don't think its a poison-type issue. Have not wormed them yet. Grateful for any further advice. Many thanks.

5. little_giant

little_giant Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    What breed is she? My hen had the same problem and she died yesterday. I think it was because of mites. They can also weaken the chicken and eventually kill them. You should check to see if she has any little pests on her and treat it right away. You should also clean her living environment.
    Good luck!

6. munroclimber

munroclimber New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Thank you for the feedback and sorry to hear about your girl. She is just a hybrid hen so no specific breed as such. The house is cleaned of poo daily (they never sit on it) and their run is just bare earth, so - don't think I have a pest/disease problem. She has now stopped laying and produces just a residue of sack behind her with yolk and no shell. She has a balanced diet, with layer pellets and grit/shell suppliments plus kitchen scraps. Have thought it might be calcium deficiency but not sure what the other symptoms of this would be. Bit concerned now about her and think vet might be the next move but any other ideas gratefully received.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by