She's got big b..

Windy's Feathered Friends

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2017
Fortuna, Ca
IMG_3449.JPG
My meat birds are now laying giant duck sized olive colored eggs? Did I mention giant? The smallest one is 18 pounds and growing!

This is Martha, Roxi and Medusa.

In the early 2000's meat birds would almost die from having tiny hearts that couldn't keep up with the fast growing bodies. If they manage to live to egg making age, they would giant white eggs for a week or two before finding their lifeless bodies. When I would butcher them their hearts were no longer then an inch at 8-10 weeks old. When I dissected the fallen older ones they had shriveled to under one inch.

These girls of today from Cracklehatchery.com have 2.5 inch hearts and massive healthy livers.

The interesting part is why they lay green eggs? Anyone know?

These birds live the life of royalty, but they would never survive in a warm climate or a really cold one.

IMG_3500.jpg
IMG_3293.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 1113000 My meat birds are now laying giant duck sized olive colored eggs? Did I mention giant? The smallest one is 18 pounds and growing!

This is Martha, Roxi and Medusa.

In the early 2000's meat birds would almost die from having tiny hearts that couldn't keep up with the fast growing bodies. If they manage to live to egg making age, they would giant white eggs for a week or two before finding their lifeless bodies. When I would butcher them their hearts were no longer then an inch at 8-10 weeks old. When I dissected the fallen older ones they had shriveled to under one inch.

These girls of today from Cracklehatchery.com have 2.5 inch hearts and massive healthy livers.

The interesting part is why they lay green eggs? Anyone know?

These birds live the life of royalty, but they would never survive in a warm climate or a really cold one.

View attachment 1113002 View attachment 1113003

Single combed meaties that lay a 'Green' egg? :eek:
That is something!
Scott

If you want them to live a while you better keep them from growing. They need to be on a diet of about an eighth of a pound or a third of a cup of feed per day with lots of forage and exercise. They need higher calcium and niacin as well.

Back
Top Bottom