Shes having seizures, help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeiaLayers5, Jun 30, 2016.

1. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Something odd happened night before last and we were not really sure what to think. She seemed fine so we brushed it off as random. She was in her run and somehow got out and was laying on ground funny. I freaked thinking she was dead but then she got up and seemed to shake it off. Yesterday, my fiance comes home and was checking on our flock when he realizes he does not see her out, he looks in duck house and she is in there laying very still. She seemed almost lethargic and out of it. When he brought her inside to check her out, she started having a seizure and this lasted minute or so and then she seemed to pass out. He was afraid she was dead, but then she would wake up and get up again. She has one of her eyes mostly closed after and though she can open it, she seems to not bother most of time. I think maybe related to seizure? She had this yellowy-green liquid coating her vent and feathers below it. It was very runny and thin. The only thing we could find online said that maybe she had some bacterial infection internally so we gave her epsom salt bath to clean her up a bit and internet said would help flush bacteria if she drank it. She seemed to drink a good deal while in bath and even had small discharge of liquid during, but still no more solid poops. She is not really eating at all that we can tell. She continues to have seizures off and on at no particular interval and it is killing me to watch her suffer. Has anyone ever had anything like this go on with their babies? She is my youngest and no more than 8-10 weeks old if that now. Please help! [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I encourage a vet to determine what is causing these . Too young to have egg yolk peritonitis could be some kind of bacteria. Epsom salt is used for a laxative so don't over do on it it can make her dehydrated also. Sorry I can't help more. [​IMG] She is beautiful

This comes from Majestic water fowl web site
    Seizures
    It's not uncommon for us to receive emails about ducks or geese who are experiencing seizures.
    Lifelong seizures are often the result of neurological disorders, which can be genetic, but are more likely the result of a brain or spinal accident that occurred while they were still inside their egg, or the result of an early life injury caused by mishandling (children who hold on too tight), dropping or falling.
    The sudden onslaught of seizures in adult ducks and geese is most commonly the result of some kind of poisoning (see our June 2013 Newsletter for detailed information), but other causes may include: injury, tumors, cancer, malnutrition, heatstroke, organ failure and contagious disease.
    If your duck or goose is experiencing seizures it's vital that they receive immediate vet care.
    To keep your pet's strength up until you arrive at your vet's office, you can give adult birds that weigh more than 3 pounds a 6 ml dose of Karo syrup immediately following each seizure, but remember, this is not a cure. You and your vet will need to determine the cause of the seizures and the appropriate treatment regime.

3. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    I forgot to mention we have corid powder mixed into her water. I added watermelon juice this morning since she is only drinking and not eating and some chopped up broccoli and she seemed to get a bit of that when she drank before I left for work. We do not have a vet who knows anything but dogs and cats and sadly with our dog being diagnosed recently with Addison's, I have lost confidence in that vet. I have read some other seizure posts from the past and will try to see if things they suggested help. We still do not know source.

4. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    My 6 week old ling just had a bout of seizures that I am assuming were caused by heat. I did put her on meds as a precautionary (Duramyacin 10), gave her nutridrench, extra niacin, and tube fed her.

Good luck, B's seemed to get worse before they got better.

1 person likes this.
  5. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    I forgot to update this board. Rey is all better. We started her on electrolytes and vitamins in her water and gave her baths inside and kept her in a crate with soft towels so she could not harm herself. After the first night and her drinking the water, and taking antibiotics, the seizures stopped and she regained her strength, now she is healthy girl again and back outside with our other female Leia. Unfortunately, last night we had another incident where we came home and one of our drakes Luke appeared to be having issues breathing. We brought him inside and tried to get him to drink thinking it might be heat related, but it only got worse and he passed away within the hour. So good news on first duck but sad for one of my other babies. [​IMG]

6. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    That is great news about Rey I'm so happy for her. So sorry for your loss of Luke tho. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @LeiaLayers5 Sorry about Luke he was beautiful.

Very happy to hear about Rey always great news when one recovers good as new.

8. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Thank you. Yeah that was our first duck casualty.

9. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Thank you. Yeah that was our first duck casualty. We lost a chicken few months back, but this has been all really new and heartbreaking. The chicken we got as an adult hen, but my drakes and ducks I raised from babies.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you think it was heat related? This heat has been awful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by