1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

She's here! pictures inside

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CelticOaksFarm, May 20, 2011.

1. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Got the call this morning just before 7am that our new gray female Sebbie had arrived. She laid two eggs while traveling, one got crushed, one was under her when I opened the box. She is so not happy fate being shipped, but drinking and eating well already. Do I let her keep the egg? She seems very possessive of it, and was not happy I got between her and it as I showed her food and water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She will be allowed to wonder a larger but still contained grassy area with a pool this afternoon. She is in a 6x10x12 pen with food and water to drink and a small pan to sit in until I open the gate giving her more room to graze.

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    She is beautiful. I guess I wouldn't be too happy bouncing around in a box for a couple of days. I'm sure she will settle in soon and calm down. Good luck with her.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    If you have a designated area for her nest, you can put the egg there to encourage her to build it there.

If you don't care where she nests, just keep the egg. It's really good for baking and PANCAKES!

And oh my, she's gorgeous!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    She is gorgeous! Where'd you get her from? I'd let her keep her egg if there is any way it could be fertilized. if not, then there's no point in letting her keep it. Use it for baking then...Yummy!

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Very pretty. Congratulations [​IMG]

6. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    No wonder you're excited. She's beautiful, if not a little miffed looking. And, bonus, it seems like she might be broody. You really are a lucky duck.....about your new goose I mean.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Thank you all, I would be upset after being in a box myself. LoL wentvahead and gave her fresh hay and straw and a dog kennel along with her egg back. This seems to have settled her down. She came from Holderreads, so there is a chance they are fertile. All three incubators here are full, so we will see what comes of her and her egg.

She has shade, grass, feed, and water and can see the Rouens and our Goslings from where she is. I have a lead on a gander for her here in State, waiting to figure out if we can meet up to get him, and if he would be a good fit for her.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Thought to look here..she is beautiful!

9. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    she's a pretty girl [​IMG] Enjoy her. (she does look a little miffed, huh?) [​IMG]

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    she's beautiful! i love sebbies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by