She's in the nestbox! :updated: She laid her first egg! Pictures too!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cocotte, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Cocotte

Cocotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    My little bantam cochin, Sprinkles is sitting in the next box right now! For the past couple of weeks or so, every morning someone has been in the nest box kicking the golf balls around, and I've been suspecting her. Its either Sprinkles or Candy doing it, they're 5 months this month and my 2 ameraucanas are only 2 months old. But Sprinkles has started squatting when I reach down to pick her up (Haha it looks kind of funny when she does it! She crouches down and kind sticks out her wings a bit like handles. I had been worried I might not recognize the 'squat' but it is pretty hard to miss) Its almost 2:30 in the afternoon, but I saw her go up into the coop a little while ago, and she hasn't come out yet and the other three girls are just sitting in the grass, so I snuck out there really quietly and peeked in the coop window, and there's Sprinkles just sitting in the nest box [​IMG] She saw me peeking and said, "Bup!" and just kept sitting there. She's kicked the golf balls around again and is in a little hollowed out spot in the shavings just sitting. I'm hoping this means eggs will soon be on the way!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Cocotte

Mar 1, 2010
    Omg she layed an egg!! I just went out to peek again, and she was still sitting in there and when she saw me she said, "brrrrk brrrk brk!" The got up out of the nest box. I went to reorganize the golf balls, and there was an egg!! Its beautiful too, and still warm [​IMG] I took pictures, and I'll take more, but now I have to wait for my daughter to wake up so she can be the one to go out and collect the egg [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That is SO cool! I can hardly wait until my two banty cochins lay eggs! Ellen (lavender) is within a month of maturing I think, while Lola (black) is only 11, maybe 12 weeks old.

Congrats!!!!

4. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Woo hoo!! Congrats!!

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    First eggs are SO exciting; it's almost as if you laid it yourself! Congratulations and here's wishing you many more eggs over the years. [​IMG]

6. Cocotte

Mar 1, 2010
    Thank you!

Quote:Haha, I know! I think I'm more excited than the chicken who laid it!

7. Cocotte

Mar 1, 2010
    Here is Sprinkles

[​IMG]

And here is her first egg!

[​IMG]

next to a quarter

[​IMG]

and next to a jumbo store bought egg

[​IMG]

8. Kanders

Kanders Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Richmond, KY
    That is so cool. I can't wait till mine girls start laying!

9. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

How exciting! She and her egg are both very cute! Congrats!

10. kjhowe77

kjhowe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Broome County, NY
    How exciting! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by