She's laying everywhere!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alte Vogel, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Alte Vogel

Alte Vogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    S.E. Alabama
    One of my pullets, a cochin, was laying here eggs in the nesting boxes like the other 4 girls but then.... About a week ago she sat in one of the nesting boxes for quite a while, got out , came out of the coop, and went to free ranging like the others were doing. Only problem was the egg was hanging from her. Sorry for being graphic. She walked around a bit and the egg dropped to the ground. It didn't break. Day before yesterday I found her egg in the run. Yesterday she sat in the nesting box for quite a while and then I found her egg in our yard. Why is this do you think?

Puzzling. Any suggestions why?

2. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    I haven't a clue [​IMG] I have one like that also, I just hope she figures it out soon.

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I have 11 hens, two of which are Cochins. They are the only ones who literally have eggs fall out of their behinds wherever they are standing, then turn around and look surprised that an egg dropped out. I can't decide if they are dumb, or their butts are too fluffy to sense what's happening back there. Lol! I've found eggs in the driveway, all over the yard, under our boat, on the stairs to the coop, and on the floor under where they roost. Crazy!

4. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    The only time that's happened to me is when a low ranking hen gets chased off the nest by a high ranking hen.... its pretty funny when it happens, but I can see how that would be very annoying if it happened on a regular basis.

5. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    I have a pullet who lays on the roost occasionally - in the morning find an egg on the floor, and I put it in the nest and give her a little lecture lol! The Flopasaurus is the boss hen and if she is laying everyone else has to hang on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by