She's limping, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LisaP, Jun 10, 2011.

1. LisaP

LisaP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Burlington, WA
    I have 8 ladies (so far I think they're ladies) that will be four months old next week. One girl gets picked on by the others and now she is limping but I am not sure why. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do and if I should be worried that things will get worse for her?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Could be several things. She could have pulled something jumping down from a roost, if so it will probably get better with time. It could be bumblefoot, which would look like a scab on the bottom of the foot and would require treatment (to get the infection out). Have you looked at her feet and legs?

3. LisaP

LisaP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Burlington, WA
    She is getting around like it is no big deal. I don't see anything wrong with her foot so far but I am definitely going to keep my eye on it. I put a roost outside last night and she was up there in no time, hanging out with the rest of her peeps. [​IMG]

4. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    I had a hen that did the same thing last week. Limping without evidence on the foot, leg, etc. I brought her inside, gave her a warm bath several times a day and she got better. No more limp..yeh! You can try the same thing and hopefully have the same luck. Even if it's not needed, it's fun watching the chicken and how they respond to a bath..they love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by