She's losing the battle I'm afraid... Fowl cholera?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Funky Chooks, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    So, my little rescue hen (one of them) has been indoors for over a week in a heated cage and nothing I can do has helped. We are trying to determine if she has "fowl cholera."

Indications:

Sudden onset from appearing healthy to being extremely ill (literally overnight)
    weakness
    pale wattles, with some darker patches
    extremely watery discharge
    no appetite
    fluffed feathers
    listlessness

I was fearful at first that she'd found some bits of plastic to eat in the yard. Now, I'm even more alarmed that this might affect my other hens if it is what she has.

Can someone please confirm for me if you think this is what she has? She came from horrible farm, covered in feces and in a tiny cage. As much as it kills me, I should never have gotten these rescue hens. Now I have to wonder for how long until my others are going to be okay?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    For Cholera symptoms I use Sulfadimethoxine in the water for 3-5 days at most.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you for your very informative post! I really appreciate it. I suppose I'm back to square one because her wattles and joints are not swollen, but all other indications apply. I'm going to now look up your suggestion "cocci" and see if that fits.

What does a vet usually charge for a fecal exam? I'm honestly not sure I can afford that kind of help. She is also looking beyond help at this point, but I'll still try. Almost unresponsive, not eating at all at this point, when only yesterday and day before she appeared to be rallying back to health.

I don't think she's going to pull through even with my best efforts. :(

5. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Update:!!! [​IMG]

It looks like my little Daisy is going to pull through! She came very close to death, and I will give a better accounting of what I've done to try to help others later, but just when it looked like all hope was dashed-- I pulled out all the stops and fed her with a syringe, EGG YOLK made into a paste. This appears to have given her the jump-start she really needed. She is still very weak, was almost unable to stand on her own, very tired all of the time. Giving her that egg yolk, made creamy and forcing her to eat it has saved her life. The other thing that has stimulated her appetite was believe it or not, stir-fry that we made tonight. She is suddenly famished and eating the way I've been just dying to see for about 3 weeks now!!! She especially loves the stringy bamboo shoots, and seems to think they are a worm! She couldn't get enough of them. :)

I suppose we'll never know what caused little Daisy to get so ill in the first place, (and so suddenly!) but she started to improve with tetracycline, then we saw a long period where her appetite was very small but consistent. We attempted to give her anything and everything (ensure, egg, rice, baby food) with only the littlest bit of success. I was hesitant to use the tetracycline at first, because I saw no signs of respiratory illness. By outward appearance, she just seemed listless, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. I'm glad we finally tried it anyway, I also attribute this as part of my success.

Now she appears much more vigorous, and only 24 hours later! She is terribly underweight, so she'll be my little buddy for at least another week or two. I am so so relieved after all this time and effort, it's finally paying off. We came so close to giving up as it appeared hopeless.

I cannot wait to see her levitate accross the yard again soon, this spring. She likes to fly to catch up with the other girls, being tiny, she can do it! I bet it'll cause a tear or two the first few times I see her. It's been a real trial, and I can't believe she's pulling through! Yayyyyy! Three cheers for DAISY MAY OMELETTE! :) :) :) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, I was wrong. In fits and starts she would have a great appetite, and seemingly be well on the mend. Now she's at deaths door again. It's fairly obvious that she's not going to make it this time.

I had so hoped to see her enjoy just one spring, since she came from such a horrible place.

I think perhaps she found and ate some bits of plastic in my yard. I'm always finding and tossing it away due to the last tenant. I suppose I'll never know, i tried and failed to figure it out.

7. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    She's gone, but went quietly and in our arms. Once she started to move her neck in a strange manner, I just knew it was time.

8. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RIP sweeters.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss, you tried more than most would.

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so very sorry... you tried so hard to help her... she was beautiful!

Casportpony says it all....

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by