1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

She's molting. Won't she be cold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by circlark, Nov 2, 2010.

1. circlark

circlark Hatching

Nov 2, 2010
    My lovely 18-month old RIR Mary is molting like crazy, with bare patches all over. (with the pointy new feathers coming in, she's more Porcupine than Chicken) She sleeps with her (still-feathered) sisters in a coop outside that is protected from wind, but here in Pennsylvania, we're getting into the 20's at night. She must be so cold!

Do I need to bring her in at night? Or do I simply supplement her feed with herbs and extra protein?
    I've also read about giving them a water bath to splash in, but with highs in the 50's, I don't want to do that now, right?

Thanks!
    Clark, first time city-chicken owner

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Songster

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I don't have the answer . But without those feathers that baby's cold. Those feathers are her jacket. Someone here can help you.

3. I had that same situation last year. I got someone here to make me a little chicken sweater, like a saddle, only lined with fleece, with a windproof exterior... she did fine until she got eaten by the fox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by