She's my baby! I don't wanna kill her, but I wanna do what's right...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickensarefamily2me, Jun 7, 2011.

1. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    Hi! I'm Kailey. I raise chickens in Texas. I recently aquired a young chick by the name of Ebony, and she has cross beak. It wasn't as bad as it was a week ago. I'm soo worried about her. This is the chick that takes naps nestled in my shirt, or sleeps in my room with me. She's officially my new baby. I love all my chickens, but she's my little girl.

She can drink just fine, and eats okay. She's a little thinner, but she keeps up with the others just fine. I posted a topic about her, but some people are telling me it'd be easier to just kill her. I'm willing to do the extra work, and am currently trying to get a ride with a friend to a vet's office, so they can trim her beak. This is all behind my Dad's back. I love this little girl so much, but am I just being unfair or cruel?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
  2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Lots of chicks grow up and still have a cross-beak. A lot of them have happy lives and still eat and drink. So maybe let it have a chance to live :)

3. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I think as long as she is eating and drinking and having a good life, I would keep her. Having a crossbeak won't stop her from be a good layer. Who knows, she may turn out to be the best layer you ever had!!! [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you post a pic of the chick? How extreme is the cross beak? As long as the little chick is able to eat, I would let it live. You plan on going that extra mile to make sure she gets enough food, so go for it. If she's a little thin now, you may need to really watch her and make sure she's able to eat.....I don't know if you can spoon it into her beak somehow.....

But you just don't want her to be starving......Because that will be painful to her....

Hugs to you and good luck! Best wishes to your little cross beak.

Sharon

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Just looked at the pic....that's not the worst cross beak I've ever seen. She will need a deep dish so she can "scoop" the food rather than peck. Maybe you can give her some chopped boiled egg yolk for that extra protein boost, plus some vitamins in her drinking water may help.....

6. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Hi Kailey,
    We have an EE pullet with a crossed beak. She is smaller than the rest, but perhaps due to our constant attention, one of the most socialized. We did have her checked out by the vet, who did a minor trim on her beak, but what a difference it has made! She can really dig into the food bowl now!
    We bought a heavy ceramic food dish - deep, so she can dig into it since she can't open her mouth all the way. Same with water. I'll try to get a picture to you of what she looks like. I was skeptical at first that she would survive, but they are fighters, these little birds and it's worth giving them the chance.
    What is your chickens name? Ours is Sparrow.
    Deb

7. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    She sounds like a VERY sweet chick! Culling her would be the last resort. Like chicmom said, you may want to give her some boiled egg yolk to keep up with her protien needs. Good luck! keep us updated!

8. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    Quote:Her name is Ebony. I love her so much. Ebony is a Bantam, so I'm wondering if I can keep her in my room with me....... Hmmm.... Dad wouldn't go for it. And she'd be lonely. Can I just boil an egg, and give her the yolk? How would I make her boiled egg yolk?

9. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I'd mash the whites and yol together w/ a fork.
    Is she able to eat more easily if the food is moistened?
    Are you giving her crumbles?

Mine liked turkey baby food when she was weak...

10. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    What I do to feed my chicks egg yolk is: spray a small bowl with Pam cooking spray and crack egg open and use halves to separate the yolk from white.

then microwave just the yolk for 12 to 15 sec. and cut up in long thin pieces for her to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by