She's not a baby anymore!!!

Lil Chickie Mama

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
California
Oh, it's true what they say, you have to pretty much give up before you get your first egg. I went to let them out this morning at 8:15 and then I checked on this and that in the coop, my normal morning stuff. Then I quickly opened the nest box heavy-hearted and barely saw some white peeking out. Could it be? No....YES!!!! She's a real woman now!!! She's a mature pullet, she graduated, yayayayayyayayya
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif
I'm so excited!!! She even knew where to leave it for me!!! So now of course I'm telling everyone that comes into my office and the are saying, "That's great..." while thinking, "Big deal chickens lay eggs." but I'm ridiculously happy. I'll post a pic later when I have the camera. YAYAYAYAYAYAYYA Oh and I don't think it's a fart egg either. It seems like it would be pretty big for her. I'll have to open it later, I'm going to blow it out and save it!!!
ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
love.gif
duc.gif
I love my chickens!!!

Edited to change HEN to mature pullet thanks to some educating responses
smile.png
thanks again ladies!

Last edited:
Okay well I had to also add that she's not a broody yet (she's more interested in grass and tomatoes with the other chickens, can ya blame her?) but I know it's in her genes. If/When she gets broody I'm going to let her hatch her eggs I think. I'm half tempted to rig up an incubator but I think I'd rather eat it instead. It probably is fertilized (if not it's not for a lack of my boy trying) but I've also probably shaken it too much while doing my happy dance. It's so amazing how one little thing can just tickle you all over until all you want to do is laugh! Or post a whole bunch on BYC...sorry for the long posts...I'll stop for now....I'M SO EGG-SITED!!!! now i'm done
hide.gif

smile.png
I fully understand your happy dance. When I got my first eggs no one else was home except me and when I tried to call my husband to let him know I got his voice mail. It just so happened my ladies laid their first two on our anniversary, one for each of us. Some of my friends look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them my chickens are laying finally.
lol.png

Good luck to you.

Congrats! When I saw the subject line I thought she'd turned into a cockerel
big_smile.png

I could be wrong, but I thought they were a pullet up to about a year old?

Congrats! Congrats!

She actually is still a pullet though... will be till she's about a year old, even though she's laying eggs. Technically, they say a year, I kinda go by egg size too though. It's a bit like how a teenager reaches puberty, but still isn't quite an adult... even though the equipment starts to work as if they are.

Still, first eggs are SO exciting!!
wee.gif

:thumbsupCongrats for you pullet (I mean hen) for laying her first egg. Congrats to her for laying the egg in the right spot. Congrats to you for putting her nest in a good spot. Anyone who is not glad for their pullets laying their first egg doesnt really need any chickens. I got a friend whos had chickens for years got excited the other day when one of his pullets laid her first the other day.

Quote:
yep. important note actually. simply because this is a learning site as well as a sharing site.

pullet - female chicken less than one year of age
hen - female chicken one year of age or older

cockerel - male chicken less than one year of age
rooster - male chicken one year of age or older

now on to the happy dance, cuz dang it, she laid an egg finally....
D.gif

Last edited:
Ooh, thank you ladies, I didn't know the one year rule. Oopsie. Well I'm still happy that my pullet has reached maturity. I've been watching that comb get redder and redder. Thank you for letting me happy dance here!

Quote:
hey, i think you should be dancing all over the place! it's exciting and wait until she starts laying eggs for about 5 or 6 months. they'll be whoppers!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom