She's not moving or eating. Here we go again.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bawkbawkbawk, Jan 27, 2012.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I lost a Light Brahma about a year or so ago. Her first symptom was favoring a leg, then she eventually stopped moving and slowly shut down after refusing food and water.

My EE from that same first group of chicks (two of the four have died) has had serious problems with internal laying the past six months; we've kept her alive with ongoing Lupron shots. She started limping a few weeks ago, the problem has worsened and the vet says she has degenerative hip disease and that the hip socket has basically dissolved.

The vet sent our hen home with medication for pain and a calcium supplement. Since coming home two days ago, our bird has completely stopped moving and is refusing food. She takes a sip of water here and there. It's a deja vu of the experience with the Light Brahma. I think she's dying. We've stopped giving the medication in case it might be part of the problem.

What little I could find online about degenerative hip problems in chickens suggested that the bird will not die from the condition. We have separated her from the other chickens so she doesn't get run over or beat up. But my intuition tells me she is shutting down. Is something else going on here that the vet might have missed? She's only two and a half years-old. Of those four original birds, I lost one at six months to a sudden death, then the LB, now this. Only my BO has remained healthy.

Here she is, resting comfortably inside the house but showing no interest in the food we've provided:

[​IMG]

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    here is a bump hoping someone can answer your question.

3. bawkbawkbawk

Thanks for the bump.

She is still with us. Actually seems a bit more alert this morning. Pecked at a little bit of food.

I'm wondering if there is something super nutritious I could syringe into her to give her some energy?

4. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Well you can always buy berrys and blend them together? Like blueberrys, strawberrys, rassberrys and so fourth?

5. bawkbawkbawk

She's eaten nothing for two days. I have seen her take some sips of water.

We had more or less given up on her but we just scrambled an egg and she hungrily ate at least half of it.

Not sure what to think.

6. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Im sure she is in pain due to her hip, and that would make anyone not want to eat, does she have some sort of pain med you can give her?

7. bawkbawkbawk

She does have pain medication but we stopped giving that and the calcium when it seemed like she was shutting down. If she continues to eat tomorrow I think we'll try to re-introduce the medications at half-strength.

Wish I knew where to get more information.

8. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Im sorry :( I wish someone else would hop on and help you :(

9. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Can you get her to drink some grape or apple juice? The sugar boost may help her perk up.

10. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    I bought bee polin from the smoothie shop for my sickling. I mashed it up with some chicken Gatorade and gave him about six CC,s. I'm not sure how much is the right amount, but its good stuff. I think it gave him a good boost, he was alot peckyer today, good luck.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by