She's Not On Punishment And She's Not Grounded!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by markb816, Jul 25, 2010.

1. markb816

markb816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a RIR that is about a year old.
    She is not the highest on the pecking order but not the lowest either. She does seem to be somewhat of a bully to the others lower on the totem pole.
    Anyway, the whole flock is pretty much a tight nit group, sticking together for the most part, free ranging.
    But for the past couple of days this RIR has been sticking close to the coop not really wanting to venture off.
    She still lays an egg in the nesting box, but spends a lot of time roosting in the coop throughout the day.
    There is a heat advisory here in the Middle Tennessee and I'm wondering should I be concerned for her behavior or what may cause her behavior?
    BYC, help me out here.
    Thanks

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Is she maybe going broody?

Imp

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:x2 could be broody

4. markb816

markb816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    What are some other signs/symptoms of broodiness?
    Is this a good thing or bad thing?
    I'm not sure that I want to be a grandparent yet.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Staying on the nest for long periods. Hoarding eggs. Irritability when disturbed.

It's neither good nor bad. Just means she wants to hatch eggs. If you don't want to be a grandparent yet [​IMG] ,take away the eggs daily. If you need to break her from being broody, it will depend on how determined she is. Taking the eggs might be enough to stop her, or just taking her off the nest several times & tossing her outside the coop. (worked for me) Sometimes they are pretty stubborn and you might need to put her on a wire bottom cage off the ground. The idea is to cool off her underside.

Or just let her hatch something.

Good luck

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by