she's ooohhh so shy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchicks, Nov 16, 2008.

1. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    We've never had chickens before until just a few months ago when 2 showed up at my dh's office. We've had horses, cattle, dogs and cats, and I should have know that these girls would have their own personalities just like my 4 legged friends and family. The one girl is so in your face at all times, always chattering, begging, and doesn't mind being picked up and lays her eggs in an old horse tank. Now the other girl is a hoot, literally, she honks when she eats, she doesn't like to be held, and finding her eggs is like an old Easter egg hunt. I'm learning the hard way, because every time I find her nest and take her eggs, she goes and finds a new place. The last nest had 7 eggs in it. I took those all out and she quit laying there. I found her latest nest and it's in a window well. This time I put two wooden eggs in place of the ones I took out. What are my odds that they will fool her???[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I guess you could try that and see what happens. Honestly, if it were me, I'd lock them in the coop for 2 or 3 days to force them to lay in there and associate laying with the nest boxes. I would really not want to go on an Easter egg hunt every day. And if she keeps hiding and laying, it could be a big problem if she gets broody on you and refuses to leave the "hidden" nest. Many have had "missing" hens show up with baby chicks and everything is fine. But many have not.......

Penny

3. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Ooohhhh, I hadn't thought about her getting broody and me not being able to find her. I don't have a rooster and it's just the 2 hens, so if I lost one it would be very lonely for my one chicken and for me too. I'll have to think this through, and with the cold weather setting in, it probably would be a good idea to shut them in. Thank you for the great thoughts, I just keep learning more all the time from you all that take the time to answer me. If you have any more suggestions I'm open....thank you.[​IMG]

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    cold weather = frozen eggs

. . . time for more comfy accommodations, I think.

Steve

5. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Oh, they have a fabulous barn with pine shavings, bales of hay and straw, 2 laying boxes, though one prefers an old water tub. heated water, carpeted roost. They have the option to free range during the daylight hours, then shut in nice and tight once the sun goes down. I figured that once it is cold, not just the up and down 40-60 degree temps. that I would keep them in the barn more, and therefore she would be forced to lay inside. But I surely thank you for bringing up the concern of her getting broody and me not being able to find her. I would be very upset. Thanks:D

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used golf balls. They layed their eggs with the golf balls. I tried to hide the balls in the nests and when I went out to collect the eggs, the golf balls were in with the eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  7. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Can I be your chicken? [​IMG] That's a pretty sweet setup.

8. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Thanks, I'm learning as I go, and being that I only have these two girls, I try to make them as comfortable as possible, and not do them any harm as I'm learning, that's why I'm delighted for any suggestions. I do have golf balls and wooden eggs in every nest she has used in hopes she'll go back to one of her old nests. It seems though as soon as she knows I've found her out, she finds a new place. Actually I couldn't find any eggs today. I suppose that's what I pay for letting them free range all day. Any more suggestions let me know. But I think I'll be shutting them in more as the weather gets colder.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by