shes sleep a bunch, is she sick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenrandomness, Aug 15, 2010.

1. as some may know, i got chicks yesterday, 5 weeks old. the breeder kept them in a pen with a bunch others, some were 2 months old and they bullied the younger chicks. Penny is alsways sleeping, is she sick?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010

2. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Songster

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Is she eating at all? Drinking? if not, you will need to hand feed and her give her water with a dropper along the sides of her beak and top. Just little drops and dont get any in her nostrils or she could drown. Try even giving her some water with electrolytes in it.

3. she eats and drinks, its just, if she isn't eating or drinking, she sleeping, the other chicks don't sleep nearly as much

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Songster

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I have had a few like that. How old is she? If she's over a week old or so, I would chalk it up to just being tired from the trip and she's simply content! If she's a couple days old only, just keep an eye on her but there's nothing you can really do if she's eating/drinking enough sometimes they just don't make it for reasons beyond us. But, trying electrolyte water with vitamins, available at the feed store, can't hurt.

5. she five weeks old, and she looks content when she sleeps so i think she just content. thanks! but i do want to try one thing, i'll put soem suger in their water, that'll pirk them up!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I wouldn't add sugar to their water. Plain water is the best for them at this age.

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i was wondering the same thing all my chicks sleep all the time....... maybe from stress?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by