She's squatting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Jul 23, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Okay, okay so I have read here that when the hens start squatting, laying time is near. So how near [​IMG] I can't stand the wait!!! I petted my Dominique hen and she just kinda sat down and let me, she is 16 weeks.

2. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    you should expect an egg about a month from now
    Good Luck:D

3. momofchicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    A month. [​IMG] I don't think I can stand waiting that much longer!!! How red do their combs get before they are ready? I read that was a sign too. The Dom's comb is pretty red but the EE's and RIR's are still pinkish.
    Thanks

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Oh it will happen, don't worry [​IMG] Then you'll take them for granted. I always do that to mine [​IMG]

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I think it was about 3-4 weeks from the first squat until the first egg for my dominques... mine started laying at 23 weeks, but that was back in the winter time when there was less daylight.

6. momofchicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Well maybe she could have been squatting last week or two weeks ago [​IMG] No, probably not huh. Oh well, I just have to keep waiting. Thanks for all of your knowledge.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    My Turkens squat all the time now, because they want mated and they have no roo! [​IMG]

8. WindcrestChickens

WindcrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What does squatting look like?

I am also really grumpy about the waiting.....:mad:

9. momofchicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I didn't know either until today. Well normally when you go to touch them, they would run. Today, I petted the Dom and she kinda just sat/squatted and let me pet her. It seemed like her wings or shoulder blades if you will came up toward her back, and she let me touch her as long as I wanted.

10. WindcrestChickens

WindcrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    O.k. I get it. Great description by the way!

Isn't waiting awful? My girls are in their 16th week. Sigh. I keep hoping they are "advanced" and have eggs soon. ha ha...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by