She's STARVING!!!!

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
My broody hen is refusing to eat or drink. I've offered her water, snow, diet coke (not really), and all sorts of treats from layer pellets to dogfood to leftover PB&J... she just hisses at me, and refuses to eat the things I leave.... what do I do? It's been DAYS!!!

Gosh I am not sure how long they usually do that.... I do know that they will leave the nest for a few minutes at a time to go eat, drink and poo. Are you sure you haven't just missed it? They can be sneaky little creatures, those broodies.

With birds like that...sometimes you have to take them off of the nest by force. They will get back on the nest...but they just need that "push" to realize they need to eat.

I have a Minorca that does the SAME thing every year.

I have a turkey hen that does this every year. You think a broody hen is bad, try messing with a 20 pound broody turkey hen, dang, they will tear you up. I just insist that she get up and so I pick her up and move her some where away from her spot. We have several little pens set up for hospital pens, or for batches of chicks still too little for general population and I throw them in there with food and water and keep an eye on them. Usually being locked up a couple days will simmer them down. You ought to see me in July with gloves and a coat on moving mean turkey hens. Also, take your sunglasses off unless you want to be wearing them backwards!! LOL!!!

I am totally sure that she hasn't eaten anything. nor any water. It's cold outside... should I take the eggs inside while making her walk around so they don't get cold? Or would it work to just cover them with something... like a towel or old sweater? or will they be ok?

Broodies don't normally eat in the nest. They usually get off the nest once a day (a few get off more often, bu once is not unusual) to eat, drink, and defecate.

If you're trying to force her to eat while she's on the nest, you're probably just annoying and stressing her.

I have a young silkie pullet sitting on some eggs right now...she is young so I didn't want to let her try to hatch yet, but she refused to give up so I bought her some fertilized eggs to hatch.

She NEVER gets up unless I take her off the nest. She even poops in there in one corner of the nest box. If I take her out she will run around and eat and drink with no problem, but she won't get up on her own.

Rather than mess with going out and taking her off the nest multiple times per day, I just moved her food and water within reach of the nest box and she will reach out and eat and drink on her own. Then I take her off the nest a few times a week and carefully remove the gross broody poos (YUCK!) and add some clean nest material.

She is so obsessed with hatching, I really hope these eggs make it...I bought some day-old EEs and have been holding them in reserve just in case I need to pull a switch-a-roo.

Silly silkies!

chickensducks&agoose :

My broody hen is refusing to eat or drink. I've offered her water, snow, diet coke (not really), and all sorts of treats from layer pellets to dogfood to leftover PB&J... she just hisses at me, and refuses to eat the things I leave.... what do I do? It's been DAYS!!!

Try making her some scrambled eggs with shredded cheese in it and maybe sprinkle some feed in there as well. One of my broodies did that until i made her scrambled eggs and i swear she was gonna choke on them she scarfed them down soooo fast​

Thanks! I'll try the egg and cheese thing. She is just so super crabby, that I hate to bother her, but I know she needs to eat and drink. I tried putting food and water next to her, but it just ticked her off. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom