She's stolen my hen! Advice please...

Magpie-ah

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
She's stolen my hen! Advice please...

Hello,
I am wondering what to do about my wonderful hen, called Ruberta. I volunteer at an animal sanctuary, and a few weeks ago, I adopted a marvellous chicken, who was not fitting in with the other hens at the sanctuary. We signed the papers saying she was now ours and we took her home to start her new and wonderful life with our flock. However, we noticed a problem... Due to her being kept in a metal floored cage at the sanctuary, we noticed she had got bumble foot. Of course, I did all I could to help her. I told my boss, at the sanctuary and she told me to bring her back to the sanctuary so that they could treat her. So, with great regret, I brought by very much loved hen back to the sanctuary, where I trusted them to temporarily look after her and love her just as much as I do until she was better enough to rejoin her family at home.

However, despite the fact that she is all better now, they are refusing to let us take her home... Apparently, bumble foot is un curable (even though it normally is ) and I have looked at her feet and they seem fine. She won't be able to reunite them with her chickens, as the whole reason we ever had Ruberta was because they bullied her. Apparently Ruberta is going to stay there, in a tiny cage, all alone with no other chickens for company, despite the fact she is legally mine! I know I have the rights to bring her home, but she is so assertive and manipulative I just cannot argue. I am a very shy person, who simply wants her hen back. I would just walk in and take her home, but because she is my boss, I want to try and maintain a healthy relationship with her, not that she deserves it... I don't know what to do, or how to tell her she is being ridiculous. She is slightly mental... And I don't think that she will understand just how much I love this hen... All responses are much appreciated... Many thanks, love from Nou x

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a single hen is a very difficult hen to put into a flock. The rest of the flock thinks that she is a stranger, and will attack. So I don't think she is going to fit in your flock either.

I am a bit confused how she was kept in a small metal cage, that caused the bumble foot, and then went back and got better.

Really if she is your boss, I think I would enjoy the hen while at work, and let them keep her.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Simple answer. Call the cops. You have paperwork that says it is your hen. They won't return her. That is called theft. If they won't return the hen, press charges.

Boss or not, if she won't return your hen she is a thief. Mental or not is beside the point. If you have the paperwork that says the hen is yours then who cares if she understands how much you love the hen. The only thing she needs to understand is that by refusing to return your property she is a thief and you WILL make her life and her job very difficult.

What is she going to do fire you? You are a volunteer. If she does something that stupid, there is plenty of outlets to ensure word got out of what a spiteful, vindictive operation they are running.

Last edited:
If you volunteer, then she is not your "boss". There are plenty of other sanctuaries, animal hospitals, rescue leagues, etc that are crying out for people like you who care. So if you really want this chicken, put on your big girl panties, take a copy of your paperwork and any documentation that bumblefoot can (and has been) treated, and demand your "property" back. Then run, don't walk, away from that place.

I agree with Mrs. K that integrating a single hen into an existing flock can be difficult for both the newcomer and the other chickens. But that's your call to make and your choice, and it may work out very well for all. But that wasn't your question. You own that chicken, so go get her, get her settled, and then share your skills, compassion and devotion with an organization that will respect and appreciate you.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. I agree go in there with all the paperwork and get your hen!! Keep us posted good luck!!!
263a.png

Simple answer. Call the cops. You have paperwork that says it is your hen. They won't return her. That is called theft. If they won't return the hen, press charges.

Boss or not, if she won't return your hen she is a thief. Mental or not is beside the point. If you have the paperwork that says the hen is yours then who cares if she understands how much you love the hen. The only thing she needs to understand is that by refusing to return your property she is a thief and you WILL make her life and her job very difficult.

What is she going to do fire you? You are a volunteer. If she does something that stupid, there is plenty of outlets to ensure word got out of what a spiteful, vindictive operation they are running.

I would call the cops without thinking twice!

I would just walk in and say, "I am here to get my hen." Then if she tried to argue then I would say, "No, I am taking her home with me and I won't have a problem taking care of her but thank you for being concerned." Then if she said something more then I would say, "I don't want to be mean, I really enjoy working here, but I can bring in a copy of the contract if you would like."

Maybe listen to the ladies concerns just to act like you "hear" her but then still state what I said above.

I am really sorry. You must feel awful. Good luck!

I hope you let us all know what is happening with ruberta. This hen- you did adopt her so she is yours. Signed contract is a signed contract. Hope you got the guts enough to go back and get what is truly yours. You did mention you are a shy person. Nothing wrong with that. But don't let people bully you
-- go get Ruberta!!
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom