she's supposed to hunt coons not skunks!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by coonhoundmama87, Nov 11, 2011.

1. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My husband was taking my coonhound Dixie out coonhunting tonight and after 2 years of hunting she finally got skunked [​IMG] I always knew the day would come but why oh why did it have to be tonight! I have nothing in the house for the smell of course [​IMG] so he's running to town. Wouldn't be so bad if she lived outside like our other coonhound. Goll dang it this sucks! I can smell it already and she's still outside. [​IMG] Just venting how much this sucks!! [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Oh, and it is such a permanent odor. [​IMG] I've had dogs get skunked several times, but they were always outdoor dogs.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

ACK!!! My old chocolate lab did that once. A trip to the vet and three bottles of Skunk Out did the trick.

4. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    our rat terrier got skunked twice before. he's such a varment dog! the smell hung on him forever, esspecially if it was damp. I'm not looking forward to this at all [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Tomato juice doesn't work so don't waste your money. Hit PetSmart or PetCo in the morning and see what they have to offer. I once Febreezed a cat that got skunked and it worked pretty good!

6. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Oh yes I know all about the tomato juice myth! We tried that on our rat terrier the first time he got skunked, all it did was turn him pink! I use the home made skunk remover: one qt hydrogen peroxide, tsp dish soap, and a 1/4 cup baking soda. Fresh hydrogen peroxide works best. Mix the soap in first, then add the baking soda. Mix it good. Pour onto dog and work it in good. Let it sit about 10 mins (if you can actually get the dog to stay that long lol). Rinse. Repeat if neccessary. An old man down the road also told us you can use women's douche and it will remove it too. And I've read that works good for their face because it's more mild and not soapy. But that mixture is a very cheap affective method. I usually have most of it on hand. Last night hubby had to run to town for the peroxide and that was 2 for $3 at Walgreens.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    baking soda....peroxide and a drop of dish soap...

exact measurements will depend on how much you want to make... mix it all in a bowl... till its a runny paste and using a gloved hand apply to the dog.... avoid the eyes

living in the hicks I keep a skunk kit at all times... and you cant premix this stuff it will explode from the expanding gasses from mixing the baking soaa and the peroxide..

and no it wont turn your dog white

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    And how are things smelling today? [​IMG]

9. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    This happened to my Doberman once & we found that vinegar douche worked well but we also used Nature¬ís Miracle skunk odor remover....so not really sure which did the trick. I will say that she smelled like burnt coffee after both those treatments for a week but it was def better than the skunk smell [​IMG] Here is the Nature's Miracle on amazon, we picked ours up at Petsmart & paid alot more than that...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=6Ym-TvHvKITz0gGd4ZHcBA&ved=0CEoQ8wIwAg

Our Plott hound Buddy aka: Bubba/ Buderick Dirtyfoot LOL always starts baying when he smells a skunk outside even though a/s or heat is on & all windows are closed [​IMG]
    We open a door or window & listen for what he is hearing then we smell it & we know better than to let him out! Seems he hates skunks & since he was a rescue who lived in wild on his own for couple years I am sure he has had in run ins w/ skunks but Thank God not since he's been w/ us [​IMG]

Hope the smell is dissipating on your Coonie >^^<

10. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

My rescue dog, a chocolate lab named Cee Cee, has chased the local skunk - and lost - three times this year.

I second (or third) the hydrogen peroxide mix. Worked so much better than my neighbor's Vet purchased solution.

Linn Bee
    (Zone 5a - 4b)
    South-est, central-est Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by