She's trampling chicks! :-(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by juliecox, Sep 20, 2009.

1. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    On Friday my Australorp's adopted eggs began to hatch. She had some problems with stepping on the eggs; several of them had a hard time hatching after she compromised their shell integrity. This morning, I found one chick trampled, and two others kind of "kicked out" of the nest, still and cold. One was dead; the other is barely alive. I brought him in and am holding him in the hopes that if he warms up he might make it. Poor thing, he's still a little damp from the egg even. He's moving a little more now than he was before.

So what should I do? Should I take her chicks to a brooder? Does this little one who was cold all night have a chance?

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    If she's not being a good mama, put the chicks in a brooder. First time mamas sometimes don't know what they're doing, and if you don't want to risk any more chick deaths, remove them.

3. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    The one I brought in has died. :-( Suck ... Out of 15 eggs, 1 broke, 2 didn't develop, and 5 died. 4 of them were trampled, and one I just don't know - no telling, I suppose. So I've put the remaining 7 chicks in a brooder inside. So heartbreaking! I think next time I'm going to put them in an incubator instead of under the hen. She's just too rough. So sad ...

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Sorry to hear of your lost chicks. I agree with Pathfinders- not all are meant to be great mothers. Good luck with the rest of the brood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by