shetland goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ben is a terror, May 7, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I saw them on hollared. Are they smaller than standard geese. Any other info would be great.

2. yellowrose

yellowrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    Maquoketa, IA area
    Hi. I recently aquired a lovely pair of Shetland geese for a very fair price. So far my experience has been that they wonderful curious and sweet personality. They don't make much noise and seem stay calm. They prefer grazing around the yard to eating the grains I put out for them. I am hoping they will lay well next spring so I can increase my flock and offer a few goslings for sale.

3. yellowrose

Mar 6, 2010
    Maquoketa, IA area
    Forgot to mention .... they have blue eyes and pinkish beaks and feet.

4. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    The Shetlands came from a trio that was imported. All of them come from that trio. People I know that have them have had horrible issues with fertility due to the in breeding.

5. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    They are mini geese only 1/3 to 1/2 the size of normal geese. There is nothing wrong with them and you can get good ones at Holdereads waterfowl

6. yellowrose

Mar 6, 2010
    Maquoketa, IA area
    iajewel.... how did you come get this information?

7. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    A freind of mine is friend with the importer, Holdereads. They have been playing hell with them for a while.. ( my friend) who got some geese from the first imported hatches.

8. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I just got 5 from Holdereads this year. I should have chosen breeding pairs, but thought I'd be ok with the odds. Turns out I have one female and 4 males...LOL. I am going to put 2 of the boys up for sale( they are only 2 months old) [​IMG] One boy is from an earlier hatch, he is fully feathered out and comes right up to me when I bring the feed. I didn't specify a date, they weren't sure they'd get them , but did. I believe I read they are good mothers, but don't do well in incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by