SHHH... Looking for quiet chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenjohn, Feb 25, 2008.

1. chickenjohn

chickenjohn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2007
    Mcdonough, GA
    Unfortunately me and my wife are having to move to the city(downtown) and we will not be able to take our loud chickens with us. What I mean is our buffs and SLW's want to let everyone know that they laid an egg every time. It is like a chicken party outside. We currently live in a different city in town but we live on over and acre so their noise is not a problem. Plus all the neighbors buy eggs; which helps a lot. Anyway we would like to be able to keep chickens on less than 1/2 an acre and would like a sweet and QUIET bantam to try and take the place of our current sweet hearts. So, what is a good chicken that fits this category?

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    seramas are the smallest and quietest i know of and they love people and attention and are extreamly friendly. most people raise them in their houses.
    silkie

3. chickenjohn

Nov 13, 2007
    Mcdonough, GA
    Wow I had never heard of the breed before i looked them up and what can I say they definitely are small! where can i find the baby chicks though?

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    seriously u'd have to get eggs to hatch or people will sell the birds but most are not cheap unless pet quality or bigger than they are suppost to be.

i had to get mine as eggs. my first ones i just hatched 1 out of 6 eggs. it is so little and cute about the size of a 9vlt battery. it is white with black by the looks of it already. i'm getting 60 eggs here this week comeing. i can pm u the info for the breeder if u want and can do hatching eggs.

they are the worlds smallest chicken,lol. they are not suppost to get much bigger than a cockatiel and my peep is easily 1/3 the size of my silkie chicks, it is tiny.

5. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I don't know about Seramas, maybe they're quieter, but don't assume that because it's a bantam it's quiet. My Silkie hen carries on, loudly, whenever anything exciting happens, such as the coop door opens, she sees a bug, the coop door closes, etc. And she has a rusty screechy voice that sounds like pulling nails out of wood. [​IMG]

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    My bantam cochins & bantam brahma are quiet I only have b. brahma but, my b.cochins don't make any noise the roo makes up for it!

now my standard brahmas don't make any noise when laying either!

7. chickenjohn

Nov 13, 2007
    Mcdonough, GA
    Samramas are way out of my price range. That is the most expensive chicken I have ever seen, although they are very cute. I would not mind having a breed in the Meyer or Mcmurray catalogs. If you have an opinion on what would be best let me know. I have heard good things about Cochin's though. What do you guys think about the Mille fleurs?

8. chickenjohn

Nov 13, 2007
    Mcdonough, GA
    I want bantams because they would just fit better in an urban environment. Being quiet is a want that has nothing to do with the size. My buffs would probably turn some heads.

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    My Japanese bantam, Audrey is the quietest hen I have and she is SOOOO beautiful and the roosters are awesome (stupid me, you probably cant have roo's.) They come in many colors and you can get them from most hatcheries.

Here is Audrey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Luck!

10. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My Polish are very quiet. Hardly a peep out of them and when one of the girls does start "talking" she is still very quiet about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by