Shhhh... They were in the... NEST BOX!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lothiriel, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Seriously!! Both of my EEs, Iris and Penelope, were in the nest boxes this morning! Iris had made herself a little nest in the far corner, and when Penelope got in, she was arranging the hay around her. Of course, as soon as I opened their back doorfor them to go out, they got out of the boxes, but I'm getting so excited!! I'M GONNA GET EGGS SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Exciting!! How old are they? [​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    They are 19 weeks and 2 days exactly. Penelope's comb is a pretty dark pink/almost red. Iris' not so much. But close!

4. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    My EE's are 22 weeks and I just got my first egg yesterday. A beautiful green !!! Hope yours turn out as nice!

5. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Oh my...I got equally excited when I went out this morn at 2am and one of my 17 1/2 weeks RIR's was in the nest box! Unfortunatly she pooped in it all night but atleast she was trying it out! Maybe we will both be getting an egg soon!

6. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Our production reds started this weekend. 2 of the eight started the same day. They were 17weeks and 5 days old. So far we have 3 beginner eggs (about 1 oz each) and one huge 2 1/4 oz. Probably a double yolker from what I have read. I have not heard the egg song from the chickens, but the chickens now have seen the egg dance.[​IMG]

7. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    That's exciting! [​IMG] I love double yolkers.

dixiebeast, maybe we will! I'll be sure to let you all know... [​IMG]

My girls were all (?) doing the egg song this morning around 7 and kept it up til sometime past 8 -- I know the big girls were doing it, and when I peeked in, my EEs were looking like they were doing it too... I sure hope so!!

It's raining right now, but I'm so anxious for those eggs that I think I just might bother with my raincoat and go see.... x]

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Any updates? [​IMG]

9. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    No eggs, but their combs have both gotten REALLY red today!! It was shocking, because this morning they were just the normal pre-laying pullet color, and then when I went out around 3:30-ish they were bright red! The wait is ... well, to be honest, it's keeping me on pins and needles. [​IMG]

10. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Any day now! [​IMG] How exciting!!! Let us know when you get your first egg!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by