Shin Splints and Tape?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FrizzleFreak, May 13, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been having really bad shin splints-if I move faster than a walk, if I carry extra weight, etc. I have been icing them every night. I have heard that tape would help during the day? Would athletic tape, or Ace bandage work better? What kind of pattern?
    Thanks!

2. Dancing

Dancing Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Prescott, KS
    I used to get them when I was in the military. Not much to do to help them but...you can prevent them.

Stand on a step or curb with your toes and lower your heals and then up on your tip toes to stretch. I know it seems kinda backwards, like you are stretching your achilles but it helps.

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    To wrap for shin splints you do a figure 8

Wrap around your ankle to hold it in place and then go to the inside of your foot at your arch, under it, up around the outside ankle and bring it around to your inside upper ankle and repeat this figure 8.... when I was in soccer it was done with tape.

That being said, this only exacerbated the pain...because it turns out I had compartment syndrome and not shin splints. I was experiancing numbing and tingling and weakness. I would not be able to lift my foot at times upward and would trip alot. The numbing lasted for days...like your foot was asleep.

Muscle compartments in your leg grow to where the tendon can not stretch and they have to surgically go in and make "windows" in your tendon to relieve the pressure.

If your pain persists I would contact a sports medicine dr. They stick a needle in your leg to get the pressure of your muscle and then do mri's for further testing.

You have 6 muscle compartments and 2 of mine are affected.

To help after the surgery and basically for the rest of your life...if you do a fair amount of standing and during exercise they will suggest you wear those special socks that help with the swelling.

Hope you start to feel better.

Gretch

4. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you!! Gretchen, you have had more than your fair share of troubles. I hope that you get some really fantastic blessings soon.

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Thanks so much...that's very kind.

Hugs,
    g

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Actually for shin splints, there is a special "brace" type thing you can get, basically from any sports store. Looks a little like leg warmers, they go from your ankle to your knee. They are super tight (a pain in the rear to get on and off), but they do help.

Best things you can do? Stretch your calves and watch your form (don't let your feet *smack*, use the muscles in your legs to help cushion the impact).

<<---daughter of a track and cross country coach...

Gretch, what you are describing is the common thing for an ankle sprain. A wrap like that won't do much for shin splints.

NSAID (Naproxen, Ibuprofin, Acetaminophin, etc) are fine to take once in a while. If they aren't helping, or the pain persists with only moderate exersize, it's time to see your doc.

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Also, you may want to consider arch supports in your shoes. Depending on the actual root cause of your splints, they could help you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by