Shingled roof coop heat control question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kwgrid, May 18, 2009.

1. kwgrid

kwgrid Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Central Mississippi
    I read on a post here that a shingled roof on a coop will be hot regardless of how light the shingles are. Unfortunately, we will need to use shingles to control costs of the coop because we already have the shingles left over from roofing the house a few years ago. We checked prices on various roof options and they all seem to creep outside our budget. The entire coop is almost totally free of cost so far with the exception of the fencing for the run and the posts for the fencing. So here's my question:

Is it possible to put something called "Cool Seal" over the shingles to cut down on heat absorption? This is a product frequently used (and I think intended for) Mobile home roofs as an insulating factor for heat control externally as well as holding heat inside during winter. The product has sort of a roofing tar consistency but dries pretty much like a hard rubber if I understand about it correctly. It lasts many years. The cost is reasonable for the smallest quantity they have. Our coop roof is only 6'x6'.

Does anyone know anything about the possibilities in doing this? Thanks so much for any info you might provide.

2. kent e

kent e Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    I think the best you can do is white shingles and ventilation.

3. davidr

davidr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Mokena, IL
    Just think of the coop as a small house. The same principles apply to attic ventilation. My chicken house as a shingle roof, reflective barrier, insulation, soffett vents and a ridge vent.

David

4. kwgrid

kwgrid Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Central Mississippi
    Actually our little coop has 'built-in' roof vents because we laid 2x6's about 8 inches apart to lay the roof decking on so there are 'vents' directly under the decking in a few places on each side. We put galvanized screen in the spaces to keep 'critters' out. The roof is a flat, 2" slant design. No gables. More like a leanto roof. So maybe with those little 'vents' we won't need to do anything else??

All materials for the coop are leftovers from past projects. BTW, I did find via research in the last few minutes that asphalt shingles can be painted with an ordinary acrylic paint. I think I have some leftovers of that, too, and I think it's some shade of white. [​IMG]

Thanks so much for helping me get my neurons firing on this. Answers started coming pretty rapidly once the momentum got going. LOL I've been stewing on this for a couple of days. Glad you guys are our there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by