1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shiping dates of chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cabinonalake, Apr 1, 2012.

1. cabinonalake

cabinonalake Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    I ordered 10 chicks in February from My Pet Chicken and the shipping date I was given was May 21st, however they said to expect them either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday of that week. My question is, I have to take the time off of work in order to pick them up from the post office and I planned on taking all 3 days off just in case we don't get them first thing Tuesday.. But if I take those three days off I won't be in a position to ask for more days off in case the shipment gets delayed.. Has anyone had good experience with mypetchicken.com as far as shipping goes?? I live in Maine if that makes a difference on timing experiences.. Thank you all for your advice!

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I don't know how your local post office works, but mine called early in the morning. So it you could just wait and find out when they get here to get the day off...I know that's easier said then done. The reason they say tuesday, wednesday or thursday is because if they can't control how fast the post office will be, they can't garuantee....because some might run a day late even. Good luck:) Maybe you could call them and ask them those questions and see what they say.

What I do is have the brooder and everything set up for them before, and then I leave them alone to settle in...shipping is stressful for them. You might be able to pick them up early from the post office, get them settled in the brooder and then just go to work [​IMG]

3. cabinonalake

cabinonalake Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    When I called the post office to see how they handle chick shipments the woman said that when she gets in the office at 7 chicks are usually there and the first thing she does is call the families who ordered them. Also, to make sure that I call a few days before they're supposed to be shipped and give them my name and number that way they can expect them and know who to call.. My only concern was weather or not the shipment dates get pushed off very often and if it's something I should expect...

4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah

If you don't get them on the dates MPC told you to expect them, it will most likely be the post office's fault for being slow...Which I've heard this from alot of the people this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by