shipped 3/30...still not here.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kb010, Apr 1, 2009.

1. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

So my chicks were shipped out 3/30 from Randall Burkey. I was expecting them this morning. When I didn't get the call, I called the PO thinking someone just...forgot to call. Then I found out they were not there, and that I would probably get them this afternoon. The afternoon truck has already been in and still no chicks. [​IMG]
    I called RB and spoke to a customer service lady. She assured me that they can live for 72 hours on their yolk sac and not to worry. I should probably get them tomorrow morning.
    Too bad I didn't go to my only class today because i was 100% sure they would come this afternoon. [​IMG]
    So now I'm worried that they are going to come and be really stressed out after such a long trip. And I can't even figure out how to track them on the USPS site! Gah!
    Anyone else have any experience with such a long ship time? Will they be okay? [​IMG]

2. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Not sure where that hatchery is located, is it a far distance from you?
    I ordered my chicks from the closest hatchery and they made it over night, I don't think it was even 24 hours in their box.
    Did you get the vitamins to add to the water? That may help them right away after that stress. But they are probably all fine and cuddled next to each other in their box. Don't worry until you need to worry.

3. Bwaaak!

Bwaaak! Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    I might be able to help you just a tiny bit. In order to track your chicks you will have to find out from your hatchery if they have a tracking number. Example, some companies (general merchandise companies) will send their packages out with a DELIVERY CONFIRMATION bar code on the package. This bar code will be scanned at every delivery point along the way until it reaches its destination. If there is no delivery confirmation code or wasnt sent EXPRESS or some other manner in which there is a confirmation bar code there wont be any way to track where the chicks are. My chicks from Cackle did not come with any confirmation bar code. Good luck. Barb

4. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

I didn't get the vitamins. I was planning to just put a few tablespoons of sugar into their water, but now I don't think it would be a bad idea.

5. merrydancer

merrydancer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    They will probably arrive tomorrow.
    Sometimes I receive chicks in 2 days.... somethimes 3.

If they don't arrive tomorrow... than start worrying.. [​IMG]

6. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have tried to track packages sent by USPS and out of the dozens of attempts to find something have only had the tracking updated once. It tells you when it is shipped out, but that's it.

7. merrydancer

merrydancer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    yes... the tracking isn't all that useful when you are trying to find out where they are TODAY..
    I've had the same frustration.

8. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Do feed stores have GroGel and other supplements?
    It would probably be a good idea to get some as the chicks might be a little stressed.

Not that this will help, but hatcheries will reship if the chicks dont do very well. I know how you feel though..

Good luck, and Im sure they will be okay.
    Keep us posted!

Jason

9. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    They usually update their tracking information at night.

Most likely they will be delivered tomorrow.

10. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

omg. after all that worry...
    I called RB to get the shipping confirmation thing like Bwaaak! suggested. The nice lady on the other line informed me that my chicks were in fact sent out yesterday. How convenient. lol. I have been worrying for nothing. She also told me that the hatchery is in such a rural area that they don't do the package tracking thing. Ugh. go figure. So I got a day off class for nothing. [​IMG]
    Thanks though, everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by