1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipped Chick Care.... Please Read!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BabyandCotton, Jun 25, 2016.

1. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    I just ordered 15 wheaten OEGB from Cackle,(they'll be here August 12) and this is my first time reiciving shipped chicks, and I have a few questions.
    1. Do I need to buy electrolytes, and if so, what brand?
    2. What type of bedding should I use? I usually use newspaper with Aspen but do they need something else?
    3. Should I grind their food to make it smaller?
    4. What time does the post office call, or does the Hatchery call?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. critterkeeper25

critterkeeper25 Chillin' With My Peeps

We also ordered chicks from Cackle Hatchery, that was 2 years ago. We bought probiotic and electrolyte packets from Tractor Supply. They are pretty dehydrated from the long trip, so we took each chick out of the box and dipped it's beak into the water to make sure that each one drank as soon as it was placed into the brooder box. The probiotics are a little reassurance that their tummies will be OK. We also ground up their feed a little. We put our chicks onto newspaper covered with pine shavings.
    Good luck with your chicks!

1 person likes this.
  3. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you !!!

4. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Would boiled egg be good to give them for the first few days along with starter?

5. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio

I've had 3 shipments of chicks. The advice given to you by critterkeeper25 is good advice. To your question I would say that is a good idea. I always feed mine boiled eggs with chick starter mix for a couple days then switch to just chick starter.

In my experiences, I would like to add that none of my chicks came from Cackle, but mine were shipped by priority mail, shipped out on time and guaranteed to arrive a specific day and time. All 3 shipments were late. (Postal service:/). It's nerve racking to be waiting on your new babies and watching that tracking bar, and them being late, and nothing you can do! I only lost one out of my shipment from California to Ohio. That shipment was 2 days late. So, my day only chicks were 3days old and hungry & thirsty when I got them. The post office has called me every time as soon as they get there. They do not seem to be chicken lovers. One postmaster even told me he's glad I picked it up because it stinks!:confused:

Electrolytes are imparative. The one I use is called Sav A Chick. Please let us know how it turns out for you. Are these your first chickens? What kind are you getting?

6. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you as well! These aren't my first chicks, in fact I've raised 3 day olds multiple times but this is my first time ordering. I'm getting old English game bantams.

7. MissJane

MissJane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2015
    NW PA
    I received my mail order (McMurray) chicks less than 2 days ago. I followed the tracking and when they were getting close I called my local post office and told them I had chickens coming and made sure they had my number. They called as soon as they got there. When I ordered my chicks I purchased gro gel. They didn't seem to care for it. Eating around it mostly, but they did eat some. They are robust and active. Not sure if it's the gro gel or they were healthy from the start. I now put quick chick in their water. They spent about 48 hours shipping. Once they arrived they ate and drank for what felt like hours.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi, with my order of 10 this year heres what i did. Mine were hatch April 11th, areived April 12th. Thank God all 10 survived the long trip from Ohio to California. My order was from Meyer hatchery. I still have 10 very healthy girls today (thank God!)

I provided probotic. One i have used for years and am very happy with called probios. I use for all ages. I used plain white paper towels as i could see the stool better. I changed them daily. I put marbles in their drinking water to prevent drowning. When they first arrived i scattered food (medicated) on the paper towels to encourage eating. Each got their beaks diped into the water where each drank. After they all ate and drank i placed each one under my brooder. (Ecoglow 20 chick radiant heat) they took to it immediately. Every day i played with each one. Now they come and jump into my lap even though they are pretty big girls now. (7 barred rocks, 1 SilverLaced Wyandotte,1buff orpington, 1 Silver Penciled Rock) hope this helps.

9. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you as well! I'm so excited to receive my chicks, and prepared now as well. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by