Shipped chickens and laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dustponds10, Jun 20, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well I just got some chickens the other day that had to be shipped to me. They are about a year old and I was wondering how long it will take them to start laying again. I havent seen any eggs and they have been locked up since I got them so they could get used to their new home.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Give them lots of TLC and eventually some fresh air and they'll be laying before you know it... as long as they are under 2 years old.

It can take a couple of weeks for them just to get over the trauma of being shipped.

3. dustponds10

dustponds10 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok, other then a little grain and some fresh alfala, what would you recommend giving them for treats? I am pretty new at this chicken thing. I bought them because they were only 1 year and 3 days old at the time of sale so they are pretty young birds. What happens if they are 2 years old? Will they not ever lay?

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Songster

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    [​IMG]

Make sure they have free choice of lay crumbles or pellets which ever you preferr and lots of fresh water. They can have a number of things. watermelon rinds, apples, lettuce, any veggies, mine love olives. They can also eats meats of all kinds, kitchens scrapes. Pretty much any thing you want There is a chicken treat thread on here but I'm not sure where. Check under feed section. Good luck and have lots of fun.

5. calicokat

calicokat Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Yeah, they're likely just getting used to new surroundings. Talk to them, hang out, give em treats and in no time you'll be suprised by a thank you of eggs!

Welcome to the crazy chicken life, you're going to love it!

6. ChksontheRun

ChksontheRun Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    Central Virginia
    As far as treats go, my flocks favorites are bananas, watermelon rind, tomatoes, spagetti, cooked rice with any yumminess we eat it with, yogurt, olives, shall I go on. They do need to have layer feed as their primary food source so they get the properly balanced diet and the treats as supplement.

Give them time, love, and good nutritious food and they will be laying before you know it. [​IMG]

7. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Songster

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Oops Sorry I forgot to address the two year question. After two their egg laying will just slow down. A chicken will lay all their lives. But as they get older they will not lay as often or as many a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by