Shipped chicks HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aandtg, Oct 13, 2017.

1. aandtg

aandtg In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    I got 37 chicks in the mail from Greenfire Farms yesterday. 1 was dead on arrival. 3 more have died today. The temp is good. They have food and water. I have just added electrolytes to their water (save a chick). What else can I do?

BYCforlife likes this.
  2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

You are doing the right things. How far did they get shipped? Asking because the trip is hard on them sometimes,and other times deaths are defects overlooked in mass hatchings.

BYCforlife likes this.
  3. aandtg

aandtg In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    From FL to TN

4. Chickassan

Is everybody else looking ok? Everybody eating,drinking,pooping? I don't know if you've ordered chicks before or if you have if you used these people but seems like you are doing all you can. Losses happen alot more with some hatcheries than others.

5. aandtg

aandtg In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    I haven't used them before, but they are supposed to be one of the best in the country with some of the rarest chicks out there. I have ordered before but there were 2 week olds not day olds. Thank you for your help. I just needed assurance I wasn't forgetting anything.

6. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Do they have pasty butt?

SonoranChick likes this.
  7. aandtg

aandtg In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    I haven't used them before, but they are supposed to be one of the best in the country with some of the rarest chicks out there. I have ordered before but there were 2 week olds not day olds. Thank you for your help. I just needed assurance I wasn't forgetting anything.

8. aandtg

aandtg In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    No, no pasty butts

9. aandtg

aandtg In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    One does look weak but everyone else is looking ok

10. Chickassan

Try giving that one a little sugar water to up its energy.

aandtg likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: