Shipped CV quail on lockdown + pips!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cosmosue, Jul 11, 2018.

1. cosmosue

cosmosue Songster

Oct 1, 2016
    SC
    Out of 12 shipped California Valley eggs 7 developed the others were either cracked or duds.

Air cells are not so great. Some are fine, some are total mess. All are still alive as of last night and many wiggling over the past few days. I went to a sort of semi lockdown a day or so early trying to repair air cells.

This was not something I read I just decided it sounded like a viable idea.

I put all 7 upside down in a small quail egg carton. I checked last night right before permanent lockdown and some had actually improved, so my idea did seem to help. I put the worst one away from the others so I would remember which was the worst (there is actually 2 that are really bad but they did seem a bit better last night) I’ve had quail eggs with crap air cells completely repair themselves before hatching, detached strange shaped air cells. So I had some hope.

Today I still have wiggling. And now one of the worst air cell eggs has pipped all the way through - I think I heard him peep so I know he’s getting air!

California valley take an extra few days to hatch, so this is good timing for the pip not really early not late at all. He’s made a complete hole. Keeping an eye on him because I know they may need help and if that means I am up all night the next two nights then that’s what it means. I’ve helped before once they are unzipping so that’s what my plan is IF I need to. Otherwise it’s just a waiting game. I know many are opposed to helping but I usually only help if they have trouble pushing because they are in a weird position (like most of these may be breech.)

So here we go, waiting on these my 7 to see who makes it out... and hoping ALL of them do but I am prepared for loss. My husband REALLY wanted these eggs they were kind of a father’s day gift he loves the CV quail and he’s originally from Cali.

Fingers crossed little dudes!!!!!!!!!

And as I always say... May the odds be ever in their favor.

Attached Files:

Sara L, BaJa and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  2. RosieR

RosieR Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Yay! Good luck little quails!

Sara L and cosmosue like this.
  3. le_bwah

le_bwah Songster

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    :clapGood luck!

cosmosue likes this.
  4. AlderCreekFarms

AlderCreekFarms Songster Premium Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Huntsville, Texas
    :jumpy:fl

cosmosue likes this.
  5. cosmosue

cosmosue Songster

Oct 1, 2016
    SC
    Thanks!!! Still waiting!! This is probably the last hatch of the year! We did a lot of hatching and we have a lot of quail for the winter the California will most likely be pets - if they can make it out with these air cells!

6. Aww I can’t wait to see them! Good luck!!

cosmosue likes this.
  7. cosmosue

cosmosue Songster

Oct 1, 2016
    SC
    Lots of pips tonight all in the right places! Maybe we will get through this bad air cell hatch lol I have hope!

Maybe I will wake up to babies! I’m grabbing my bed roll and sleeping in my office as usual on hatch nights! Prob in here tomorrow night too! Lol

Time for ice cream lol

EggWalrus and le_bwah like this.
  8. RosieR

RosieR Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Anyone have progress this morning?

cosmosue likes this.
  9. cosmosue

cosmosue Songster

Oct 1, 2016
    SC
    Nah just all seems the same :( it’s gone very very quiet and that’s normal but I swear my first thought is always “everyone’s dead!!!!”

10. RosieR

RosieR Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Hurry up chicks!

cosmosue likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: