~Shipped Duck Egg 'Hatch-a-long' Due Aug 21, 2013 CANDLING PICS~

Griffin Nest

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Hi everyone ! I built a new incubator and just purchased a batch of 7 mixed ducks eggs online and they are arriving in the mail soon! So excited!
wee.gif

This is the new incubator I made. I was actually working on a complicated fan incubator with thermostat, but it didn't work properly so I went all basic!!

Usually, I get all fancy with mesh and water setup, but this time I just used a tall cup. to raise the humidity, I put a towel on the edge so the water creeps up the towel and allows it to evaporate. Also, I added heat sinks (water bottles) so the temperature steadies. Usually, I also have an egg turning setup, but I just didn't have the time and figured hand-turning 3 times a day will do. Don't underestimate this setup though!
big_smile.png
The temperature hasn't moved from 100 degrees since yesterday. The window is double-paned so not must heat is lost.

Im expecting the eggs to arrive at my house on Wednesday, so the hatch date will be around August 22. Here's my hatch calender!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
My parents were trying to convince me to leave the incubator unplugged overnight when the eggs get here.
lau.gif

lol! yes but they meant leave it off every night of incubation. i was like "you're kidding right??"
lol.png

yes i am planning to let the eggs rest after shipping

Hi,
I confiscated some eggs from my duck. One of our chickens got broody and decided to sit on the duck's nest so we are going to have a staggered hatch. I decided to confiscate the eggs when Rosy (chicken) and Lady Quack(duck) got into a fight over the nest and broke an egg, so now all the eggs are in an incubator in my kitchen. The first 3 are due any day now but the rest should be hatching in groups of 3 or 4 about a week or so apart. Does anyone know if it is really bad to have staggered hatches? I've been candling the eggs and in the older ones there is definite movement, but I have been guesstimating when the first three will hatch, how will I know if they are still born or not. I appreciate any advice and/ or feedback you can give me. Thank you.

Hi,
I confiscated some eggs from my duck. One of our chickens got broody and decided to sit on the duck's nest so we are going to have a staggered hatch. I decided to confiscate the eggs when Rosy (chicken) and Lady Quack(duck) got into a fight over the nest and broke an egg, so now all the eggs are in an incubator in my kitchen. The first 3 are due any day now but the rest should be hatching in groups of 3 or 4 about a week or so apart. Does anyone know if it is really bad to have staggered hatches? I've been candling the eggs and in the older ones there is definite movement, but I have been guesstimating when the first three will hatch, how will I know if they are still born or not. I appreciate any advice and/ or feedback you can give me. Thank you.
I dont know D: I've never had experience with staggered hatches before. Maybe you should make a seperate simple hatcher incubator for the oldest ones when it comes time for them to hatch so they dont soil the others

I have one ducky that has already internally peeped and a second that is trying, i stop turning the eggs when they peep internally don't I? My hubby has set up a home made brooder for when the babies hatch. Should I move them earlier? This is my first hatch and any advice is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom