1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipped duck eggs! need advise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LoveToFarm, Oct 12, 2013.

1. LoveToFarm

LoveToFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Marshfield Wisconsin
    Hello everyone I orderded 6 duck eggs this last week and they shipped them on thursday so my question is? Its now satuday and still no eggs will they be ok if they are stuck at the post office till monday? I'm so worried about the eggs its driving me crazy!:caf

2. LBejaran

LBejaran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Deep South Texas
    They should be okay, but it's likely that the fertility rate will go down as time passes. However, remember than ducks take a week or two to collect enough eggs to set. They'll leave their eggs for weeks before sitting on them. Duck eggs tend to last much longer than chicken eggs do when left to sit out. I think it has to do with the fact that duck eggs are less porous that chicken eggs.

When you get those duck eggs home, just make sure they are room temperature before you set them in the brooder (or beneath a broody hen/duck). If they are still cool (I'm assuming they were shipped with a cooling pack), let them sit for about 24 hours so they can get to a regulated temperature. At that point, they'll be ready for the brooder.

Good luck with your duck eggs!

3. LoveToFarm

Jun 22, 2012
    Marshfield Wisconsin

Thanks for the advise I just found out that tomorrow is columbis day so no mail tomorrow either this
    Is going to be a very bad hatch! I wish they would have come yesterday! :hit

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sorry. [​IMG]

5. LoveToFarm

Jun 22, 2012
    Marshfield Wisconsin
    Me too I hope some will still hatch but idk!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe as long as it hasn't gotten to cold inside the facility, it maybe just like they are sitting out on the counter waiting to go into the bator. Lets hope so.. [​IMG]

7. LoveToFarm

Jun 22, 2012
    Marshfield Wisconsin
    Bob

Ya that my hope to I hope shipping went good I'm surprised they didn't come saturday bc she sent them on thursday! I just hope I get some to hatch! I'm keeping my hopes up only time will tell!

8. LoveToFarm

Jun 22, 2012
    Marshfield Wisconsin
    Well I got them tuesday and now today they went into the bater I was wondering how long before I start turning them some say 24 and others say up to 48? Won't the yoke stick to the sides if they are not turned! ?:confused:

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can't help ya on the turning part since I leave that to my ducks, but just wanted to say hoping for the best for the eggs. [​IMG]

10. LoveToFarm

Jun 22, 2012
    Marshfield Wisconsin

Thank u do much they look good so far! I will keep u updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by